• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Why Are Realtors On Edge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
Board office has a problem with agents venting on new receptionist. Perhaps they should hire an appraiser for receptionist..We have thick skins.

Last week, we lost yet another receptionist here at the board office. This one didn’t even make it out of her probationary hire period. She had a positive attitude, was friendly on the phone and happy to be helpful. There’s a lot to learn in this office and she was becoming quite proficient in her duties. She was the best receptionist we’ve found in quite a while and it’s hard when you lose a good one.

Here’s what she said to me when she gave her notice. “I cannot take being screamed at on the phone every day. This environment is very negative and it’s affecting my health. I try to help, but all too often the members call and just start yelling. They can be very rude and, at times, even insulting.”

I don’t think I need to tell any of you that this is wrong. It’s unprofessional and creates undue pressure on someone who did not cause the problem, but is only trying to help. I think the last straw for her was when a member came in last week and demanded that she go find a male staffer to help him. He told her that because she is a woman, she probably couldn’t solve his issue.

We try in the interview process to prepare new staffers for what is coming but, if I told them the unvarnished truth, no one would take the job.

Here’s where I ask for your help. Would you please take a few minutes out of your next office meeting and address this with your licensees? A little common courtesy, a calm demeanor and a few less insults will go a long way when we’re trying to help solve a problem. Please also let your agents know that, effective immediately, we will begin utilizing the auto-attendant feature on all incoming calls and calls will be recorded.​

Elliott

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Oregon
Last week a realtor told me a similar story about the receptionist at a property management company. Left her notice at the front counter, said she was tired of being yelled at and accused by tenants of scr ewing up, moving truck wars, where's my deposit, etc. Tough job, they need combat pay.

AMF13

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
Would serve the agents right if they got a rude jerk in the job. :shrug:

D

Deleted member 130081

...and their soooo nice to potential buyers and sellers...maybe being fake too much rears its ugly head in the wrong way?

I went with my mother-in-law to a showing a while back. The realtors eyes about popped out of her head when I disclosed I was an appraiser. The realtor kept going on about how ethical she was and ethics was all she had, meanwhile telling my mother-in-law she need to make a STRONG offer (right in front of me). The realtor had put out a bowl of candy and seeing as we were the 4th offer on the table (supposedly), I wasn't shy about having a few pieces from the full bowl - she slapped my hand on the fourth piece. Despite coaching my mother in law to ignore the realtors influence, and to take the advice of her appraiser son-in-law, she still over-bid. It was interesting watching realtor influence in action. She did not get the place. Not because her offer was low, but because her loan was only 5% down - we suspect they anticipated a low appraisal (no ethical appraiser would come in that high) and accepted an offer from someone who had more LTV cushion. I suspect it is a lot of stress to be that horrible.

timd354

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
The realtor kept going on about how ethical she was and ethics was all she had, meanwhile telling my mother-in-law she need to make a STRONG offer (right in front of me). .
How is this a problem? A listing agent's job and ethical duty is to get the strongest possible offer that she can for the seller without engaging in misrepresentation or other illegal behavior. Agents are not uninterested, unbiased or neutral parties to the transaction like the appraiser is supposed to be, so why would anyone expect them to act like they are?

D

Deleted member 130081

How is this a problem? A listing agent's job and ethical duty is to get the strongest possible offer that she can for the seller without engaging in misrepresentation or other illegal behavior. Agents are not uninterested, unbiased or neutral parties to the transaction like the appraiser is supposed to be, so why would anyone expect them to act like they are?

Well, I am not versed in realtor ethics in our state, so I don't know exactly what they can legally say or not say. I have a suspicion (strong guess?), they are not allowed to suggest/tell a buyer or seller how much to sell/buy for - I don't know. I do know, that myself and my mother-in-law felt the realtor attempting to influence the price was unethical, illegal or no. I did not expect her to act ethically, in fact I pretty much expected her not to act ethically, but I thought it was funny how she kept going on and on about her ethics, and then went on to do something we felt was unethical. That's all.

Last edited by a moderator:

timd354

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
Well, I am not versed in realtor ethics in our state, so I don't know exactly what they can legally say or not say. I have a suspicion (strong guess?), they are not allowed to suggest/tell a buyer or seller how much to sell/buy for - I don't know. I do know, that myself and my mother-in-law felt the realtor attempting to influence the price was unethical, illegal or no. I did not expect her to act ethically, in fact I pretty much expected her not to act ethically, but I though it was funny how she kept going on and on about her ethics, and then went on to do something we felt was unethical. That's all.
In that case, you should probably read your state's real estate broker/agent law before you opine on what you is ethical or unethical. Their is no prohibition for the listing agent (who by law owes an ethical duty to the seller to obtain the best possible contract for the seller) to suggest that you make a strong offer or even to suggest that a buyer make a priced high offer. In fact, it would be unethical for a listing agent not to attempt to obtain the best possible price for the seller. Your comments demonstrate that you do not have any understanding of the ethical obligations of a listing agent, whose sole ethical obligation is to get the best possible deal for the seller, not to represent the interests of the buyer.

D

Deleted member 130081

In that case, you should probably read your state's real estate broker/agent law before you opine on what you is ethical or unethical. Their is no prohibition for the listing agent (who by law owes an ethical duty to the seller to obtain the best possible contract for the seller) to suggest that you make a strong offer or even to suggest that a buyer make a priced high offer. In fact, it would be unethical for a listing agent not to attempt to obtain the best possible price for the seller. Your comments demonstrate that you do not have any understanding of the ethical obligations of a listing agent, whose sole ethical obligation is to get the best possible deal for the seller, not to represent the interests of the buyer.

Your comment exhibits you don't know how to interpret a simple paragraph.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks