• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Why Are You Unwilling To Train?

What are the reasons you have not taken on a trainee?

• I do not want to train my competition.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No one could live off what I could pay.

• I do not want the liability.

• I do not have the time required to train properly given the responsibility.

• All of the above

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen J. Vertin MAI

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Illinois
The Communicator had an article called "A kinder, Gentler AQB". On page 30 it indicted the inefficiency of getting new appraisers into the profession. The problem, they claimed was training. It stated that after many potential appraisers have completed their educational requirements, they just cannot find someone to train them. They supported this claim by indicating in California 2/3 of trainee appraisers do not renew their licenses.

Tim Hicks (Texas)

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Texas
All of the above, but liability and the ability to support another appraiser during slow times are the key issues. I would rather work harder during busy times than try to support an appraiser during slow times. I would feel bad if they were suffering just because I need a certain amount of work to support my own family. I watched many trainees get the shaft when slow times came.

Stephen J. Vertin MAI

Professional Status
State
Illinois
Pam:

As we have been discussing I am have delayed reactions. I tried putting on "all of the above". I do not know if if worked.

Dee Dee

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
I would have to agree with "all of the above".
Added to that is that I work from my home, and wouldn't want to give up my privacy. I worked hard to earn the privledge of typing in my pj's. :wink:

Dee Dee

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Steve,

I added it for you. Hope you don't mind and that the delayed reactions you've been getting doesn't add it a second time.

I'll keep watch and let me know if there is anything else you want on this thread.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
How about None of the above?

The way I figure it, I have made nary a dime from subs but have expended enormous amounts of time basically to satisfy the work load of my clients. I cannot do 'em all, but I have two clients that want me to do 75% of the Residential work and 100% of their farm work. Without subs to cover the Res., I would not be able to do all the farm work, and sometimes I am not then. Then they complain to me because at least one of my competitors is charging up to 3 times what I do and their borrowers are throwing a hissy fit when so stuck.

Ter

Chris Faubion

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Missouri
I've tried a few, but found most did not want to perform the work to got into an appraisal. I sent a guy out to a small rural area where you have to hit every Realtors in 3 towns for comparables, he came back within 2 hours (just enough time to get the subject site visited). Hwen asked about comps he said he thought would use my data base. He had two years as another persons trainee. Anouther trainee very smart man, did not want to pay to go to school.
Right now were swamped, three weeks out for visits, and its hard to trust anybody to do the work.
I figure that lenders have set us up this way, and unless it a bigger appraisal firm, or somebody that you don't mind losing money to (family member, ect) it is tough to get trained.
I want a good trainee, or partner :cry: I'm here at five and have 3 inspections today, plus 5 report left from last week. Thanks for letting me vent.

Dave Smith

Professional Status
State
Wisconsin
How about the increase in overhead cost and decreased income for the supervisor? Added office space, added equipment, worker's comp insurance, payroll issues including Social Security and payroll prep, decrease in productivity, etc.

For a one person shop the overhead clearly goes up and the income goes down, at least while training the newbie. Then the newbie leaves when they realize they have to work hard at being a good appraiser.

I don't see any other industry where the trainee is paid by the trainer to go to school. If I am a tutor, and that's what I was during three experiences as a trainer, why should I pay the student? The student should pay the trainer.

There is also a tremendous amount of energy expended while teaching.

I will never take on a newbie again, for the above reasons and more.

Ross (CO)

Professional Status
State
Colorado
Can't see where we will have any extra time to train....for, soon, we will all be taking 3 hours of classes, three days a week, while we are earning our PhD's in appraising. But, even with PhD's, that won't stop the clients from suggesting their wild guesstimates-of-value on the orders which come after the bogus computer-derived valuations have been tallied !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks