• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Why Can't I Have A Heated Garage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

robert gawlas

Freshman Member
I live in western pa. I had a house appraised by someone from HUD for a FHA loan.I received a letter today. under Physcal condition column general health and safty it states a problem. (comments) REMOVE AND PERMENTLY SEAL THE HEAT VENT FROM THE INTEGRAL GARAGE. Its a comon sence thing.. ( carbon monoxcide thing)what I don't understand is there is alot of heated garages in the state. they are building homes every day with heated garages. why won't the state of pa. let me have one. what if I had something of value and wanted to keep it in a controled enviroment. this is really upseting me. I don't think the seller is going to pay to have it done. I really want this house. anyone know the state code on this one?

hal380

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Connecticut
This is just a guess; The authoritys may be concerned with carbon monoxide entering your whole house through the vent. May not be at all about having a heated garage.

FWIW they may have a point.

Hal

Ross (CO)

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
You are the prospective buyer/borrower here, so appraisal done to support your future mortgage, yes ? What detailed explanation does your lender have to share with you on the issue ? We may need more info from you here, though. I do not know what type of heater warms the garage, and where is it exactly located ? How old is it (and the house) ? Could it have been an owner-installed thing from past years ?....or is it very recent in age and right up to par with local code ? Is it independant of the home's heat system ? Please describe this vent some more. Just how much would the "closing of a vent" cost the seller ? Sounds quite inexpensive to me......if he really wated to sell the house. Does the closing of that "vent" prevent the creation of another in a different (perhaps proper) location by you in the months ahead after moving in ? Can not see you needing to heat the garage again for another 5 to 6 months.

robert gawlas

Freshman Member
Hi ross. the house was built in 1959, haven't heard from the lender yet. Gas heat, the furnace is located in the basement,approx 10ft on other side of the wall. the home inspector said that the furnace is about 12 years old and the ductwork is very well done through out the whole basement and garage. don't have measurment but it looks like your basic. it comes through the wall at the ceiling right off the furnace. the woman in the house has only owned the house 2 years. don't know when the vent was installed. why wouldn't the home inspector have said something about it? where can I find out what local code is? and if it meets local code before I or the seller has it taken out.

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Robert,

How about you call FHA directly Tuesday morning and ask them. Document who you talked to and what they said.

Ross (CO)

Professional Status
State
Colorado
Sounds like you have a "basement" garage there, where you walk from garage into a basement, on same slab-floor level, with stairway nearby leading up to main level. If furnace is ducted to take warm air into garage then I do not see what the fuss is about. Certainly there would not be any thermostat in the garage and it will get whatever heat it gets as the rest of house calls for new warm air. Again, you speak of (garage) vent, as if there is only one for the garage. Most, if any, garage heating that I see out my way is an independant furnace mounted high off the floor and separately operated, as needed, and not tied into house heat. What is the likely cost for the seller to "close off" this vent ? Good luck

robert gawlas

Freshman Member
yes that is the set up. with only one duct venting warm air via one vent to the garage. I think there are 4 vents to heat the different parts of the basement. I don't see the problem either. do you know of any type of trap door or anything that meets code to stop any fumes from entering the duct work and entering the house when the furnace or central air is not in use.

Carnivore

Elite Member
Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
I dont know code in PA, but it stands to reason that common sense would prevail. I dont see this as just some type of carbon monoxide situation. I see this as a serious fire code violation. The ducting does create a path of very little resistance to the other parts of the house . Also, if you force air in its got to go somewhere, either back to the main house or out the door.

I seriously would not my garage heated with my main system.

W

walt kirk

From what I understand of the situation the fix is simple. The owner can have a piece of sheet metal cut to the size of the vent outlet, remove the heat register and install the sheet metal in its place. The FHA will be satisfied and you can reverse the condition if you determine that it's safe.

robert gawlas

Freshman Member
thanks walt. I spoke with a buddy at work tonight and he went through the same thing. it turns out another coworkers dad does hvac work and is going to do exactly what you said. my only other problem is getting the seller to pay for it. lol..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks