• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Why so many FHA assignments

ucbruin

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Massachusetts
If interest rates are so low and house values are at near record highs (if not beyond)....
And unemployment remains at record lows....

Why am I receiving so many FHA refis/purchases assignments? :unsure:

graindart

Professional Status
State
Montana
Might be regional. Definitely not seeing that here. House values relatively stable in this area and FHA are rare for me lately.......maybe 1 or 2 per month.

alebrewer

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Texas
I think that, nationally, FHA represents about 15% of first mortgages? At least that's the number I saw for 2019. Agencies at around 75% and VA around 8%. I haven't heard that FHA is making an attempt to capture more of the market...

Artemis Fowl

Professional Status
State
Michigan
A guess? More people are qualifying now. It's an upward indicator not a downward one.

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Michigan
I haven't done an FHA in months, maybe 6. Used to do two a month.

Tom Woolford

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Probably because they are maxed out on conventional loans.

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
If interest rates are so low and house values are at near record highs (if not beyond)....
And unemployment remains at record lows....

Why am I receiving so many FHA refis/purchases assignments? :unsure:
IIRC you recently said you have over 30 years in. What legitimate lender risking their own money would get on their knees at these rates? I would not be surprised if Fannie and Freddie are expanded to include FHA insured loans up to multi millions. Remember when "Jumbo" was a thingy?

Peter LeQuire

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Tennessee
Could it be that FHA's higher LTV for non-cash out refis, with appraisals, are available to homeowners who bought with high ratio conventional loans?

Denita Neuenhaus

Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
Florida
From what I see on the buyer/borrower end is that IF the borrower's credit score is less than 700 and the LTV is greater than 80%, the FHA loan terms are much better in terms of interest rate and MIP/PMI.
The differences I have seen in the last week or so is 1% on the interest rate (FHA is 1% lower) and the MIP on a FHA loan is half that of the PMI charged on a conventional loan.
So, it's a no brainer to take the FHA loan. Particularly if the borrower is at a 90% or less LTV where they can drop MIP after 11 years. (If the LTV is higher than 90% then the MIP stays for the life of the loan - so it's a different decision unless the property is likely to be sold or refi'ed in the next 11 years).

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks