• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Why you are willing to train an apprentice ?

Why you are willing to train an apprentice

• Because you would prefer to train your future appraisers.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Because you enjoy the loyalty you established by training a new person.

• Because your tired of hiring appraisers with bad habits who need re-training.

• Because hiring appraisers in this market climate is difficult and expensive.

• Because you do it the right way.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
My trainee is my wife and my daughter-in-law. I will NEVER train anyone outside of the family. I can deal with the family, but not with outsiders. I had to do that when I worked for a bank. Never again.

Roger

George W Dodd

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Virginia
Roger

My trainee is my wife and my daughter-in-law

Usually I only see this type of relationship in West Virginia 8O

Richard Carlsen

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
This is a one sided poll. It assumes that one is willing to train someone.

It leaves no room for the response of those of us who are not into empire building and only wish at times that we had someone working for us but when it gets right down to it, we don't want the bother of training someone who will, when they are fully trained, go off and set up shop on their own.

Michael T. Hiester

Freshman Member
Richard,

There is another thread that has received dozens of responses regarding why appraisers won't train newbies. I applaud the author of this thread for taking a positive spin and attempting to find out why some are willing to train.

You all know how hard it is for us newbies to get started. It continually amazes me that so many subscribers to this forum appear to look at everything negatively. Or at least that is how it comes through in their messages. I see other options rather than training someone and losing them two years later. I am new and don't have all the answers, but I am willing to search for them. You know...the glass half full thing.

Before getting accepted by a mentor, I was willing to give just about anything for the opportunity. I promised my mentor that I would not start my own business for a certain period of time after training unless he didn't need my services. This allows him a chance to recoup his investment by fee splits after I don't need him reviewing my work. I think you will find many rookies willing to work out whatever concerns the veteran has for the opportunity to get into the biz.

Best regards,

Terry Russell

Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Montana
Get em, Mike.

I imagine some people are not educators. Nor are they willing to try or try again.

Terry

Charlotte Dixon

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Delaware
My trainee is my wife and my daughter-in-law. I will NEVER train anyone outside of the family. I can deal with the family, but not with outsiders. I had to do that when I worked for a bank. Never again.

Roger

Roger.. (I think) can't read this d--- black, yellow, orange screen....
Ditto! I trained my son, then my daughter-in-law, now my daughter. I wouldn't train anyone outside the family. 1) too much work 2) takes away from my production 3) can't trust them to do a good job 4) can't tell outsiders to sit down, shut up and get the work done or there's no company Christmas Party (I'm the mother and I'm the boss)

Richard Carlsen

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
Michael

I applaud your determination and drive.

However, you must remember that there are some appraisers who are not into empire building and choose to "go it alone". Right now I happen to be one of them. Sure there are times I wish I had someone to help out. But then I would have the concern of what to do with him/her if and when things slow down. At this stage in my life, I have chosen not to take on someone and train them. Maybe tomorrow I'll change my mind. Who knows?

I remember when I worked for another appraiser. I was state licensed and earning 45% of the billing. He supplied the office, software, billing, etc. I never could get him to give me any kind of a raise even when I pushed production up. After 2.5 years of working under that systems and making a lot of dollars for him, one Friday morning, after we had a disagreement on how independent an independent contractor could be, he told me to pack my things and leave. That day very day! I did and have been running my own shop since.

Quit frankly, I don't want to be in the position of having to do that to someone and since it is my business I am running, it is my choice. I don't have to apologize to anyone for the decisions I make because they are for my company.

My comment on the poll was that it was a one-sided poll. If the author wants to find out why I don't want to train someone at this time, he should ask and not give me 5 irrelevant choices to choose from.

Just my comments this busy Friday morning with a full day of inspections ahead of me.

Michael Reilly

Richard,

This poll is one sided just like the previous poll "why you will not train" My goal was to see how many folks out there do train and their reasons for doing it. Funny, I didn't see a similar post to this one on the other poll about how one sided it was? If we get a good 2 years out of an assistant I consider that a success. To date the only assistants who have left our system are those that have been let go. We have had a number of apprentices complete their education, pass the state exam, complete the required hours and go on to become very productive, happy $$ appraisers in our system which provides our company with continued growth and to a large degree strengthens their position with our firm. Clearly the offer one provides to an assistant turning appraiser must be attractive to keep them because if not, well that goes back to some of the other comments in the first poll about them leaving and competing. At my firm we make them all partners (company stock option plan that vests over time so they participate in the long run providing they stick with it) and provide hands on, at all times training. Never do they get sent out alone to do inspection and write reports. They are always with their supervisor so that when we check the box did inspect we can sleep at night.

Mreilly NY

George Hatch

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
In terms of training an appraiser and building a company, that actually sounds like a really good system.

George Hatch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks