• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Will existing FHA Appriaser's have to be certified?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris chatterton

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Idaho
In reading the Housing and Economic Recovery Act of 2008 that was just passed it appears that FHA appraiser's will have to be Certified. Is this only for new appraisers added to the list or will licenced appraisers have to become Certified. Gotta love the new changes. Have only been doing FHA for 5+ years and now i won't be smart enough to do them, but some skippy who is certified with no experience can sign right up on line with no test! I love legislators!

Bama Bayou

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Alabama
No one knows the answer to your question, but we can expect a mortgagee letter from FHA soon. My guess is that FHA will require appraisers to be certified rather than licensed. I would also guess that Fanny and Freddie will follow suit along with every lender in the United States.

Since you have five years experience you should have no problem upgrading to certified.

seaboy9

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
Unfortunatlely the five years experience that I have only counts toward approximately 2000 hours of appraisal experience. That being said I just got off the line with HUD this afternoon, I asked for a determination on the Certified word. They indicated that it was just a Fed. Gov. faux pa, the feds did not realise that the word Certified had a double meaning when pertaining to Appraisers. What they simply mean is that you need to be Certified and or Licensed in order to be on their list. Hopes this takes care of any misinformation that has been circulating, however remember this is only "what I have been told by a government employee".

Ultraviolet

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Arizona
I just received my FHA approval today and I'm not certified - yet! Ok Otis, I said certifiED - not certfiABLE ... :laugh:

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Michigan
In reading the Housing and Economic Recovery Act of 2008 that was just passed it appears that FHA appraiser's will have to be Certified. Is this only for new appraisers added to the list or will licenced appraisers have to become Certified. Gotta love the new changes.

I would ask why Licensed appraisers would not want to become Certified. The skippy has more education as a certified than the Licensed, and more required experienced hours.

Have only been doing FHA for 5+ years and now i won't be smart enough to do them, but some skippy who is certified with no experience can sign right up on line with no test! I love legislators!

There will also be thousands of Licensed skippy appraisers who have two years experience with bad training too...do you want to compete against them too?

I love legislators!

Most likely they did not know what they were voting for, the AI had a large influence on it. But it is what it is. Appears Certified is the new law.

TC

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
Jeez, is it that tough to go from licensed to certified?

TC

Doug Wegener

Professional Status
State
Oregon
Meaningless

Unfortunatlely the five years experience that I have only counts toward approximately 2000 hours of appraisal experience. That being said I just got off the line with HUD this afternoon, I asked for a determination on the Certified word. They indicated that it was just a Fed. Gov. faux pa, the feds did not realise that the word Certified had a double meaning when pertaining to Appraisers. What they simply mean is that you need to be Certified and or Licensed in order to be on their list. Hopes this takes care of any misinformation that has been circulating, however remember this is only "what I have been told by a government employee".

I think what the government employee told you is meaningless. The law clearly says certified.

More important questions are whether those currently on the list will be grandfathered or not. Also which "Nationally recognized appraisal organizations" are going going to be recognized and does certified in regards to them mean designated since the organizations dont certify but designate.

BRCJR

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Virginia
I think a licensed appraiser is "certified" as to the definition of the word certified.
FHA has no position at this time on the issue, as their lawyers are working on it as to the intent of the bill and its wording.

A licensed appraiser has a certificate to perform appraisals in the state they are certified in.

FHA will have a position soon and we can expect their position to be stated in a letter after the legals finish their homework on the subject matter.

OSU Beavers

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Oregon
Jeez, is it that tough to go from licensed to certified?

TC

Apparently it is now with these insane new tests that people have had to take several times to pass.

Doug Wegener

Professional Status
State
Oregon
Congressional intent

I think a licensed appraiser is "certified" as to the definition of the word certified.
FHA has no position at this time on the issue, as their lawyers are working on it as to the intent of the bill and its wording.

A licensed appraiser has a certificate to perform appraisals in the state they are certified in.

FHA will have a position soon and we can expect their position to be stated in a letter after the legals finish their homework on the subject matter.

Unless they say licensed appraisers are ok it wont clear it up since much of the rest of the statute is murky. What is a nationally recognized appraisal organization? Who is included? Does certified in that section of the statute mean designated? It can hardly mean certified since those orginaztions mostly designate and not certify.

As I pointed out before the National Association of Master Appraisers designates licensed appraisers and they are a member of the Appraisal Foundation. That would seem to qualify even if they interpret certified in the first part of the statute to really mean certified.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks