• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Will Workers Return to Their Offices?

alebrewer

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Texas
For appraisal work most independent fee appraisers have been working from home for years and its easy to know if the appraiser has or has not completed his workload. In some other businesses its not so easy to measure the employees productivity. Many companies have found out that lots of middle management positions were never really even needed and those people are getting laid off for good. Another factor is how a person manages thir family. I have no chidren at home so no issues but I know guys with 2 to 3 young children and neither they or their spouses know how to manage kids because the world revolves around all there wants and needs. Those people do not make good at home employees. Way back in the day often it was a two week vacation that was the beginning of the death march for a middle level managers, he/she was gone two weeks and suddenly everyone found out he really did or contributed almost nothing.
You're either capable of unsupervised work, or you're not. Being an appraiser has nothing to do with it.

glenn walker

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
Thats ridicules, almost all appraisers are used to doing unsupervised work remotely, and many that can't ended up either as a staff appraiser or got out of the business. Most employees have never worked outside of there companies location and are not used to unsupervised work. Many will not be able to adapt and one issues is may have found that working from home creates more problems than it solves.

My Niece is an-example, She works for a Large CA Pharmaceutical Company and has been working from my sisters home for the last 9 months. The first 3 to 4 months were heaven not having to drive to work, no so called team leader looking over her shoulder etc. Then as time went on She realized that with Corp-being able to know every move-how long in bathroom-how long on break and those tech guys who are inside your computer during working hours. Then there are other issues, my sister is retired and hangs around all day and my Niece is tired of looking at her all day and I'm sure its mutual. She said I used to have life where my work place and-home life was separated now its not and I dont get to see other people. For her she cant wait to go back to her cubicle at the corporate location.

My best guess is depending on the jobs requirements many will be laid off and the others will work two or three days from home and a few days in the office. Many folks will not adapt well. My friend the Psychiatrist who also does couples therapy says that to much time in the house together- and worse when two are both working from the home, the divorce rate is going through the roof and throw in the kids running around and things can quickly go from good to bad. Weight gains have been reported that the average in-home worker has gained between 15 to 25 LBS since the pandemic. Also increased use of drugs and alcohol because the employee knows or thinks he won't be caught. Some of the Big Pharma and other Corporations in CA are making work from home employees get bi monthly drug and alcohol tests. They can pass the alcohol test by just not-drinking a few days prior to the test but drugs and TNC from smoking pot is not as easy. knowing the human animal when left alone, he will often resort to bad habits and many will end up getting laid off.

OSU Beavers

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Oregon
Case in point: Neighborhood 31 flavors ice cream. Old way: People mull around inside looking through glass at the ice cream, crowd up the store, and take longer to process the transaction. New way: Customers see a list of flavors posted on the window while waiting in line, and order at the door and stay outside. Door clerk processes the money while back clerk makes the ice cream cone. They are processing customers twice as fast, with less indoor cleanup and maintenance. and the customers are happy as they get their ice cream faster. Win win.
Where the heck are customers supposed to go to the bathroom?

George Hatch

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
The thing about appraisers that's deceptive is that our workweek includes time in front of a computer but also time spent out and about, so we're not locked into spending our entire workweek at a desk. We don't clock in/out and we're paid by the piece, not by the hour, so we don't have keystroke logger keeping track of our productivity. So we're not a good example of what life is like for many WFH workers.

Peter LeQuire

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Tennessee
Perhaps the fact that many appraisers have been working solo (including at home) for years contributes to the fact that - at least as has been evidenced for years in this forum - the is seldom unanimity of opinions about what ought to be established standards (measuring a house, for example), or what inspecting a comparable from at least the street actually means, or what, precisely, a review supervisory appraiser actually is certifying to when s/he signs a 1004.

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks