• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Window Size

Status
Not open for further replies.

Debra

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Tennessee
Greetings!

I need to know for a property that I'm working on.....what size does a bedroom window need to be (on a first level floor) to be able to say that it is or is not a safety issue? I did call them-the connection center but there is not anything much about this in the 4000.1 How do you determine this??? I am going back to this property for a final because of subject-tos (one is that the bedroom windows wouldn't open but they say that they will now) and plan to measure from the ground to window sill and side to side and up and down. Thanks!

Amy Perkins

Professional Status
State
Tennessee
Big enough to crawl out of if there is a fire.

Mike Kennedy

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New York
Greetings!

I need to know for a property that I'm working on.....what size does a bedroom window need to be (on a first level floor) to be able to say that it is or is not a safety issue? I did call them-the connection center but there is not anything much about this in the 4000.1 How do you determine this??? I am going back to this property for a final because of subject-tos (one is that the bedroom windows wouldn't open but they say that they will now) and plan to measure from the ground to window sill and side to side and up and down. Thanks!

1. Tennessee Housing Codes Healthy Homes Provisions - NCHH
    www.nchh.org/Portals/0/Contents/HH_Codes_TN_1-15-08.pdf
    Tennessee Housing Codes Healthy Homes Provisions ... B. TN Uniform Residential Landlord and Tenant ... Access to or egress from each dwelling unit shall be provided ...

miktay

Professional Status
State
Texas
This thread reminds me to contact HUD and take my name off their list of approved appraisers.

Don Clark

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia
Greetings!

Hard to say. You would have to define a "normal size" person to say who can and cannot get through a window. On the TV show "My 600 pound life", none of those folks could make it.

Personally, I prefer going through a door.:rof:

But, the big question would be whether or not the window can be opened.

Mark K

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Indiana
Greetings!

.... and plan to measure from the ground to window sill and side to side and up and down. Thanks!

Do you do this (measure windows and sill height) in the bedrooms of every house you appraise?

In any event, your local building/planning dept. or municipal building inspector should be able to tell you the minimum requirements. If there's no local authority, it probably defaults to the state building codes.

In this area, its 44" max sill height from the floor and 1,000 sq. inches with at least 20" clear width. This means that a 20" casement window doesn't pass because the window, when swung out, blocks part of the opening.

What's the rule say about older homes built prior to current building codes? Are they grandfathered?

Last edited:

Peter LeQuire

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Tennessee
If the opening is big enough, is not barred and is not glazed with reinforced safety glass, I believe I can figure out a way to get out in an emergency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks