• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

Learn more about Titan Reports, our new cloud-based formfiller, SmartExchange, Titan Office, and Titan Drive to see how you can revolutionize your appraisal business.

Winsketch and windows xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Hassler

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
Just picked up a new machine loaded with windows xp. Put in Winsketch but when I open it I get a "stack overflow" error anytime I try to save. If there is a simple awnser please let me know, else its another $35 to tech support for a program I'm thinking of dumping soon.

John Hassler

airphoto

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
an oxymoron: WinDoze and 'upgrade' ..

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Arizona
I am still using Windows 98SE and the best thing I have found is the msconfig dance (as I call it). Go to start, run, type in msconfig, select the tab that says startup, remove all check marks except for any program you absolutely have to have running in the background. Then reboot your computer. You have just shut all the doors and windows in the house when it is 20 below outside so that your furnace doesn't have to run constantly. It is surprising how much quicker and smoother programs run, when there aren't a batch also running in the background.

Stone

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
Jo Ann - I agree. That is the perfect fix for many problems with 98SE. I have almost nothing running in the background.

George W Dodd

Professional Status
State
Virginia
dump it and go with apex. You won't be disappointed.

John Hassler

Professional Status
State
California
Thanks Jo Ann

I tried your suggestion and unloaded a few start-up programs (there wasn't much there as this was a new computer). But sorry to say it did not help. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

John Hassler

Em Tee

Professional Status
State
California
John: Did you try reinstalling Winsketch? I use it on my Win XP and haven't encountered that error, so maybe it was something in the installation process.

John Hassler

Professional Status
State
California
Mary

I just did that a few hours ago and the world is a beautiful place again. Thank you all for your suggestions. I will never understand why some times computers work and sometimes they don't.

John Hassler

PS I'm still going to check out Apex!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks