• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Wood Beam Foundations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill S

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Illinois
Does anyone know if wood beam foundations are acceptable for FHA loans? These were typical in late 1800's to early 1900's in my area. There are no footings but the beams are driven well below frost line. Usually there is a small (18-24") dirt crawl associated with these.

Thanks

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
Bill:

In all seriousness, I think you need to call HUD directly on that one. I know at one time they WERE still considered eligible... but required a engineer's certification.

I then recall (a rumor?) that they had become prohibbited... but that was when the local field offices were in charge and did not necessarily reflect a national consensus.

FWIW this WAS a not uncommon foundation system in some areas where Redwood or other non-rotting wood was available, AND the risk of termites was low.

Frank Lloyd Wright did a modified version of this, many of which homes stand today in quite nice shape thank you veddy much:angry: . He left the area when the officials started hemming him in with rules. The officials are all dead, the homes still stand:rolleyes:

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
The answer is: it depends. For example, telephone poles and bois 'd arc posts are acceptable for foundations. Untreated pine is not. It depends on the area and the type of wood. If you are unsure about the type of wood, call for a foundation approval by an engineer, just like you would for a manufactured home.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks