• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Wordsmith Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZZGAMAZZ

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
I like to use the following verbiage in the middle section of the SC narrative:

"The following adjustments were applied to reflect market reaction to differences xxxxxxx the subject and the comparables."

Should the missing word be "between" or "among"? The differences are between the subject and the individual comparables, yet among the subject and all of the comparables.

Thanks.

Jerry Bone Jr

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Oregon
Between.

These recent sales of properties are most similar and proximate to subject and have been considered in the market analysis. The description includes a dollar adjustment, reflecting market reaction to those items of significant variation between the subject and comparable properties.

Randolph Kinney

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
North Carolina
My understanding of grammar is you use between when you have a comparison between two items. You use among when you have a comparison among three or more items.

Mike Boyd

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
My understanding of grammar is you use between when you have a comparison between two items. You use among when you have a comparison among three or more items.

However, "the comparables" is a singular subject. It is a group. Therefore, BETWEEN is the correct word.

CCAAMO

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
Between. It is the difference between the subject and the comparables.

Randolph Kinney

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
North Carolina
However, "the comparables" is a singular subject. It is a group. Therefore, BETWEEN is the correct word.
The following adjustments were applied to reflect market reaction to differences xxxxxxx the subject and the comparables."
The differences are between the subject and the individual comparables, yet among the subject and all of the comparables.
Normally, you have 3 or more comparables, homes that sold that are to be used to compare against the subject. Individual items are noted for each comparable home and how they compare to the subject on those items.

I suggest not to be confusing as to plural or singular use. You have potentially more than two items of comparison with the subject on each comparable home, and you have more than 2 comparable homes that you are comparing against.

If you want to be precise and not confusing, state "the difference between the subject and comparable 1, item 1 is LOT SIZE and is adjusted by zzz to reflect the market value of the difference."

Another way of saying that would be: " Comparables are adjusted for -Variances for lot size are adjusted $5.00/SF; 1/2 bath are adjusted $2,000; etc."

ZZGAMAZZ

Professional Status
State
California
Because my support group is on-line early this morning I have a related question that I need to address asap:

The escrow instructions for a FSBO indicate:

1) Seller is giving buyer $10,000 for closing costs;
2) Buyer is paying all of the subject's closing costs.

Should I just report it as it reads without a comment, or indicate that it my opinion that appears to be a contradiction?

I already alerted the lender this issue.

(Also thanks for the wordsmith advice about betwee/among.)

Mike Boyd

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
The "missing" word relates to the comparables, not the "differences." We could rewrite the entire sentence and eliminate the need for either word but zz's sentence is shorter and to the point.

Professional Status
State
Colorado
The escrow instructions for a FSBO indicate:

1) Seller is giving buyer $10,000 for closing costs;
2) Buyer is paying all of the subject's closing costs.

Should I just report it as it reads without a comment, or indicate that it my opinion that appears to be a contradiction?

"Seller is giving the buyer a $10,000 credit towards closing costs; the buyer is paying all of the subject's closing costs (using the aforementioned seller credit up to $10k) and providing their own funds if the closing costs exceed the $10k seller credit."

I would mention the $10k credit on page one, and not worry too much about the contradiction. The buyer is paying the closing costs, and the seller is contributing $10k to help the buyer.

Last edited:

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Adjustments made to the comparables reflect market perceived value differences between the subject and the comparables.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks