• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Work Files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jturner01

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
I have requested to get some of my old workfiles from my old boss and was wondering how long does everyone feel is appropriate to get the files to me. This is not the 1st time I have requested the files and the last time I did not recieve them and did not even recieve any correspondence. I know that I am supposed to be able to get the files but how long should I have to wait for them considering I have explained through several emails that Electronic files would be fine?

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
You need some kind of contract between you and him that is enforcable. If you don't have that then you don't have control of your files... The experience I am told is that if you go to the board both of you could face sanction. You for not having work files and him for not providing same to you...

get a lawyer.

George Hatch

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
California
From a USPAP perspective the standard is that both you and your supervisor are responsible for adhering to the Record Keeping section of the Ethics Rule. How you go about doing that is between you two. It would be a violation of the Ethics Rule for the custodial appraiser to deny access to the non-custodial appraiser.

The Record Keeping section of the Ethics Rule does not require either appraiser to give possession of the workfile to the other.

State rules and regulations obviously vary by jurisdiction. In my state (California) trainees are required to maintain copies of the appraisal reports which appear in their experience logs. Obviously, that means that their supervisors have to allow them the means to do that.

The rules in your state may very well be different. You'd have to check and see.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
It wouldn't hurt for boards to adopt the policy that supervisory appraisers must provide copies of the workfile to the trainee upon demand or face sanction.

jturner01

Professional Status
State
Florida
Thanks guys,

I had a verbal agreement with him. He said that all I had to do was notify him and he would provide them for me. I spoke with him the other day and he said that there would be no problem, but he would need to get them out of storage. He then asked that I notify the office manager and he would take care of it. I emailed the office manager and told him that I did not need the actual file, just an elecrtonic copy, and have not heard back from him. I have since emailed every day and he has not responded at all. I just wanted to know what would seem like a reasonable time before I started to speak to an attorney or the board.

I am just really frustrated beccause I have several potential clients asking for sample work and I do not have any to give them. Do you have any suggestions for that?

Mike Boyd

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
If you completed the reports, why do you not have copies in your own computer? How many completed files are there? 5.......500........5000? I would suggest you go to his office and offer to help pick them out and then email them to yourself. All the law says is that your supervisor has to make them available to you. Why should HE be burdened with something YOU should have been doing for yourself all along?

Calvin the Airedale

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Ohio
I have requested to get some of my old workfiles from my old boss and was wondering how long does everyone feel is appropriate to get the files to me. This is not the 1st time I have requested the files and the last time I did not recieve them and did not even recieve any correspondence. I know that I am supposed to be able to get the files but how long should I have to wait for them considering I have explained through several emails that Electronic files would be fine?

Dear Mr. Turner,

Allow me to suggest the following trick: send your old boss an email relating your frustration with his lack of action regarding your request for records. Briefly restate your postition and the reason for the request.

CC the email to the following: your attorney; any email address associated with your state licensing authority; and/or any email address associated with your state attorney general.

Follow this email up the same date with written correspondence and carbon copy the same sources.

Even if you don't, in fact, send the correspondence to those sources, the suggestion that your legitimate request for action has a wider audience will likely spur action. In addition, paper correspondence, when used to reinforce email, has a more powerful effect at motivation than email alone.

Good luck!

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
Every trainee should have a written agreement that defines access to work files with their supervisory appraiser.

AnonApprsr

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Massachusetts
Why don't you goto the office yourself? Emails are so flimsy. Go there, talk to the office manager, offer to goto storage yourself, etc...

jturner01

Professional Status
State
Florida
If you completed the reports, why do you not have copies in your own computer? How many completed files are there? 5.......500........5000? I would suggest you go to his office and offer to help pick them out and then email them to yourself. All the law says is that your supervisor has to make them available to you. Why should HE be burdened with something YOU should have been doing for yourself all along?

I completed all the files in his office, on his computers. Like I stated before, we had an agreement that he would provide them to me if the need arose. This was the same arrangement that I had with my 1st employer also, I guess I did not know any better. Ignorance I guess.m2:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks