• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Work Samples

Status
Not open for further replies.

sam strahan

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Texas
i am working up some packages to send to lenders. included in those pacakages are work samples. can anybody tell which parts of the appraisal to mark out? i want to make sure i dont miss anything that could make me liable.

Mike Seward

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
I found it easier just to get the client's permission to use selected reports as samples.
Mike Seward

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
Take a typical report, change the address to 123 Fifth Street, Anywhere, TX. Put the borrower as J. Doe, owner as J. Blow, mortgage company to A. Mortgage. Do this sort of thing, then save the file. That way you can print out all the demos you need. The key is to conceal the property, parties involved and client.

Roger

Jeff Horton

Professional Status
State
Alabama
I have posted this before just for the laugh value. But per the AL Appr. Board attorney you don't have to hide nothing! She says the lenders are all bound by the same privacy laws and that they can not disclose anything anyway so we don't need to mark anything out.

I prefer to appraise my house or my friends house and make the scope be for Lender Examples. Then there is no problem.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
I prefer NOT to send out work samples...and I can get away with it.

Ross (CO)

Professional Status
State
Colorado
sam, .....I do know what you are attempting to do.....but you must remember, THEY DO NOT LOOK AT THE SAMPLES ! They are all too busy, have too much else to do, too many other meaningful reports to look over for the closure of their next deals....and the samples which you or I will send in end up on someone else's desk...who cares even less what your report is all about. You have a 99% chance that if you call them 1 or 2 or 3 weeks later, and ask the person who demanded the samples a few questions about the reports you sent, or ask for general comments from them, you would get the same answer......."I have not had a chance to look at them yet".....guaranteed ! You will accomplish more in the long run by engaging a heart-to-heart conversation with whomever you might be working closely, and try to find out if they are on-board with the concept of no comp-checks, no need to share with me any (their) estimate of value, no need (you) to call in ahead of time and pre-report where you "might be at" in a final value, and sundry details of how orders sent out and reports sent in, and how c.o.d.'s enable priority scheduling and faster turn-time, etc. Satisfying those things up front determines whether you will ever get future work from them. JMO

Nancy in Friday Harbor

Professional Status
State
Washington
Oooo, you guys from Colorado think the way I do. :D

Why spend the time and effort to make up samples when you're already swamped with work. As one of my regular clients commented about my request to send a sample of their reports, "If you're buried now, why should I let you send out samples to increase your work load and my lead time?!"

When the mortgage broker (it's never banks who want samples) blubber, "But, but....everybody does it!" I respond with

"I'm not everybody. If you want everybody, call someone else. I will be happy to provide a list of names and phone numbers of institutional clients who know and appreciate my work."

I haven't sent out a sample in probably 6 years. And I'm still turning down work.

Cheers!!

Hot & humid in Friday Harbor this afternoon............

sam strahan

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Texas
picture yourself being new at this and having no clients. i look at it as a way to meet the people at the loan companies.

sam strahan

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Texas
Originally posted by Nancy in Friday Harbor@Jul 10 2003, 07:08 PM
Oooo, you guys from Colorado think the way I do. :D

Why spend the time and effort to make up samples when you're already swamped with work. As one of my regular clients commented about my request to send a sample of their reports, "If you're buried now, why should I let you send out samples to increase your work load and my lead time?!"

When the mortgage broker (it's never banks who want samples) blubber, "But, but....everybody does it!" I respond with

"I'm not everybody. If you want everybody, call someone else. I will be happy to provide a list of names and phone numbers of institutional clients who know and appreciate my work."

I haven't sent out a sample in probably 6 years. And I'm still turning down work.

Cheers!!

Hot & humid in Friday Harbor this afternoon............
i am not swamped with work! i have only been doing this on my own since june. i forgot to mention that sorry!

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Sam,

Using a couple of your best ones, clone them. Change all the names of streets, client, owner, borrower, dates.

I have a couple that I did for 'teaching' new Realtors. You can have fun doing this and have your samples.

example: 1234 Sample Appraisal St

Borrower: John Q Borrower

Owner: Suzie Q Owner

Lender/Client: I Want Loans Mortgage Co

If anyone does read them, at least they'll remember you and have a good chuckle.

Get creative and have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks