• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Working In Icy Conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.

norapp

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
New York
Looking to buy ice cleats. Normally have to trudge through 2-4 feet of snow but last year, no snow just lots of ice. Had a few vacant homes where the ice was so bad I started taking my cross country snow shoes with me just in case. They are made for walking in the woods, not measuring houses. Lot's to choose from online. Any recommendations? Yaktrax looks good but thought I'd throw it out there to my fellow Northern Appraisers.

Vermonter

Professional Status
State
Vermont
Looking to buy ice cleats. Normally have to trudge through 2-4 feet of snow but last year, no snow just lots of ice. Had a few vacant homes where the ice was so bad I started taking my cross country snow shoes with me just in case. They are made for walking in the woods, not measuring houses. Lot's to choose from online. Any recommendations? Yaktrax looks good but thought I'd throw it out there to my fellow Northern Appraisers.

Have a pair of yaktrax in my truck at all times. Work well and are fairly cheap. Also keep a couple hundred pounds of tube sand in the bed of my truck. Adds weight to my truck and can always throw a handful or two on a driveway or walkway in an emergency.

Honestly think I used them once after an ice storm where there's an inch or 2 of ice on everything. Other than that some decent winter boots with good traction soles work fine for my conditions....which is mostly deep snow.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
I have some cleats that fit over my boots for ice fishing. As I remember those were about $12 but that was like 15 years ago.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
The ones that fit over your entire shoe are difficult to get off and on and thus you cannot go inside the house without a struggle. The ones that have one simple strap work just as well and are about $10 at Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HB2S588/?tag=realestatappraat

71DnCz7yphL._SL1002_.jpg

AMF13

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
I remember that snow and ice stuff.
My plan is never go up the mountain where the snow is, during winter.
Ice goes only in my drink. :peace:

Meandering

Elite Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
Pennsylvania
Measure from the inside,
Open opposite doors/windows, drag tape through house.

A few minutes of lost heat to the owner who won't watch you sliding down a metal basement door and landing on the handle.

and no one wants to cover you on their homeowner's insurance.

norapp

Professional Status
State
New York
Measure from the inside,
Open opposite doors/windows, drag tape through house.

A few minutes of lost heat to the owner who won't watch you sliding down a metal basement door and landing on the handle.

and no one wants to cover you on their homeowner's insurance.

Bur what about the rear picture? Believe me, sometimes I think I might land on America's Funniest Home Video if someone was taping me. I must look like an idiot trying to plow through high snow. It's so exhausting.

norapp

Professional Status
State
New York
Have a pair of yaktrax in my truck at all times. Work well and are fairly cheap. Also keep a couple hundred pounds of tube sand in the bed of my truck. Adds weight to my truck and can always throw a handful or two on a driveway or walkway in an emergency.

Honestly think I used them once after an ice storm where there's an inch or 2 of ice on everything. Other than that some decent winter boots with good traction soles work fine for my conditions....which is mostly deep snow.
Thanks. Think I will try these. I'm hoping for a good snowy winter. Most people think I'm nuts but it's better than trying to walk on property that has an ice rink surrounding it. Are you in the snow belt in Vermont? Have a friend in Plymouth between Okemo and Killington. I'm based just south Adirondacks and work to the Vermont border.

Meandering

Elite Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
Pennsylvania
Bur what about the rear picture? Believe me, sometimes I think I might land on America's Funniest Home Video if someone was taping me. I must look like an idiot trying to plow through high snow. It's so exhausting.

I did the inspection of an old abandoned farm house a few years back.
There was 3 feet of fluffy snow on the ground, No snowshoes would have helped.
With a 30 inch inseam, you get the picture of the day I had.

Several days later we accumulated 2 more feet of snow, and I get the stip, that there was supposedly a water fall in the creek at the back end of the property, and there wasn't any picture in the report.

Yeah well Maybe the arms are long enough but you still have to see the camera to aim it.

Never did get that pic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks