• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Workman Compensation Insurance & the AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin A. Spellman

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Massachusetts
I maintained a workman compensation insurance policy as an appraiser here in MA. This is a MA requirement and is the law; I know that if you are a sub-contractor in the construction industry, the general contractor must possess an equal policy or greater, if not a fine and a penalty will occur.

Why should an AMC be excuse from an insurance cost that we in incur here in MA or in your state when we are labeled as a sub-contractor?

TJSum

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
With all their rules, regulations and mandating of how one conducts their business, I don't understand how they get by on the employee / independent contractor test. It seems like they break several of the guidelines per IRS.

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
Don't know what the rules are up there. Down here, you can go naked without Workman's Comp if you're willing to take the hit if something goes wrong.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
I used to work for an Oil Co. as a contractor that required me to keep both Work. Comp. on myself and Gen. Liability....supposedly if I careened into the drill rig in a drunken stupor I could pay for the damage as well as pay myself on W.C...but they didn't required E & O, go figure.

TJSum

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
Kevin, does it have to do with the new state run Health Insurance in Mass. If so, I am sure your state is different than all other states.

Kevin A. Spellman

Professional Status
State
Massachusetts
No it is a law for all industries here in MA for several years. An appraisal company was fined $10,000 for not having workman’s comp by the state. That is when I went out and bought it. They were a 1099 shop just like me at one time. I'm solo now.

Couch Potato

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Contact your state with the question. If they smell money, they will go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks