• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Writing Reports for Appraiser

Kathryn Bowen

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Oklahoma
Are there any trainees willing to give advice on fees to write a report? Is this even something a trainee should be doing under USPAP? Have been asked by an appraiser what I would charge to type up his reports for him.

George Hatch

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
When I first started appraising we paid on a price/page basis at a rate which amounted to about double the minimum wage for someone who could do 60-70 wpm. But that was strictly data entry; no research or analyses involved.

IlliniApp

Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Illinois
It depends on what you mean by writing a report. If you are only typing in information your supervisor has given you and not doing any analysis, it's simply considered clerical work and is not significant contribution. Depending on how much experience you have, it would be acceptable to do some analysis and then have your supervisor review to see if its appropriate. My arrangement for pay is by the hour.

deepearce

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Are there any trainees willing to give advice on fees to write a report? Is this even something a trainee should be doing under USPAP? Have been asked by an appraiser what I would charge to type up his reports for him.
I spoke to an appraiser who took on two trainees and all they did for six months is type up his reports. Any trainee willing to do that?

Stantheman

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Washington
I spoke to an appraiser who took on two trainees and all they did for six months is type up his reports. Any trainee willing to do that?
We get calls and resumes on a weekly basis, and yes trainees are pretty much willing to do anything to get a foot in the door. We have 2 people, not trainees (one being our son who's going to college) helping us type appraisals. They type the very first section of the first page, input comps, and put in snips (zoning map, tax info from county etc.) We pay $35 and it takes our son about 90 minutes to do. Not bad for working at home.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
When I first started appraising we paid on a price/page basis at a rate which amounted to about double the minimum wage for someone who could do 60-70 wpm. But that was strictly data entry; no research or analyses involved.
Since my analysis and my writing go hand in hand in a narrative, I presume you would be referring to fill in the blank forms. For what little it would provide me, I could not pay very much for a typist.
give advice on fees to write a report?

If someone wants to take on a trainee, then keypunch is fine. But with a trainee, a true trainee wanting to break into the business, I would want them doing a lot of market research with simple things and learn to do analysis as they go. There are plenty of simple tasks a trainee can do, learn a lot, and work towards a license. But if you only are going to keypunch, it won't help your hours. In Oklahoma, you have to have a supervisor and you and the supervisor have to take the supervisor class the way I understand it, ditto AR (I certify in both states.) But I couldn't supervise anyone due to not taking the class. So if you have a supervisor, and don't have a lot of work, then I presume it is "OK" to keypunch but again it isn't going to count for your trainee hours....especially if you and the super haven't taken the trainee class.

Assuming the data are at your finger tips, a report shouldn't take over an hour or so to keypunch, so $25 or so per hour?

chrisynthia

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Indiana
I am just starting with my courses but I am willing.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
Because I use the report as a "thinking thing", someone writing a report past the basics for me would be a waste of my time....and for the trainee marginally helpful perhaps. What I would be training a trainee to do would be the basics. They would measure houses and inspect and I would teach them what to observe. I would teach them the Zen of appraising, why comps are important, why sketching is important, why you reconcile your sketch with the assessor or MLS if different. I would have them do the sketches in the report.

Next I want them to learn how to search, research, and confirm the sales. What to look for - like contract for deed. I would teach them how to find land sales and analyze same. I would teach them how to run costs on dwellings and larger outbuildings. They would learn how to find a deed and mortgage directly in the courthouse. After they understand that then they can learn the value of using the on-line deed/mortgage records. How to search the compiled vendor records. How to read a contract, etc.

Then the trainee would be tasked to inspect and sketch the dwelling, drive the comps and photo (how to do so safely) and to edit photos with simple software like Photoscape. They would pull up the legal description, the property tax field card, and compare the sketch with their own numbers, reconcile that. They would learn how to write the property history for the previous 3 years. They would learn to look for the zoning and what the zoning means and look if there are any obvious negative easements on the property.

Once the basics are grasp then perhaps allow them to fill out page 1. Next is page 2. Learning how to do paired sales and sensitivity analysis. Learning that multiple adjustments are not a good thing. Keep adjustments to a minimum. Vet the actual land value of the comp, to A) make a land value adjustment and B) to use in the sensitivity so you are actually extracting the GLA adjustment and not an adjustment for the whole property...which will be skewed by the land if it is different value.

Yep, I'd start at the first of the URAR and work their way to the last of it.

Elliott

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Oregon
This reminds me of a statement that was said by a writter who's book was entitled: THE EARTH IS FLAT: "For all practical purposes the supply of workers in the world with a high school education is infinite." Now in Oregon the esteemed Governor has dropped all requirements for math, reading, and writing competency, but assuming the old standard, anyone capable of being an appraiser should be able to type and write coherently. Maybe I'm wrong.

Fernando

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
When I went on my own, my wife helped me type the reports. She would initiate and input data from public records which I normally takes me 30 minutes.
Beyond that I had to input the characteristics of the house and check zoning (public records usually wrong) and other stuff.
The rest of the report I really have to do it myself as an appraiser because I saw the property and I know which comps to use and do the adjustments.
Sounds like if trainee does all the typing, trainee has seen the property and is doing most of the work and the supervisor is just checking your work to meet his/her standard.

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks