• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

You Just Can't Make This Stuff Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobby Bucks

Elite Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
North Dakota
Got an assignment for a lakefront property, custom built, a lot of angles, not exactly a nightmare to measure, but not a cakewalk either. I prefer those that are 27 x 54.3 with metal tags on each end. Anyway, a couple hours after the inspection, the client frantically cancels by phone and email. Naturally, I'm not pleased, but they did agree to a reasonable trip fee. Long story short the listing agent got word I was assigned the order and was able to get it canceled, preemptive, preventive train wreck action if you will which is a separate issue entirely. The next day I get a call from a competitor, I'll not call him a peer. He wavers between being a slob and witch hunter depending on the situation. He left a nice message on my voice mail informing me he now has the assignment, he sounded almost apologetic. Before he hung up, he asked if I would mind emailing him my copy of the floor plan. My first reaction was wtf? After sharing the incident with peers, one person suggested what I though was brilliant. He said I should call him back and say I'm out of town, but to call my assistant at zzz-zzz-XXXX and ask her to email the floor plan, the kicker is he said to not give my number, but the state board. I would love to do this, but I do wonder if it could come back and haunt me later. What say the experts?

Last edited:

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
Let him have the fun of measuring. IMO, the measurement comes under confidential information. You have not been authorized to release such info, so I would politely decline.

J Grant

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
Jeez just ignore him he's an idiot.

Mike Ault

Professional Status
State
Texas
Make sure and charge him a reasonable fee also for providing this valuable information to him and consider it a new assignment. I don't believe this information falls under the confidentiality restrictions associated with "assignment results" since you never completed the original assignment, your sketch is an original work created by you and is not confidential information unless you have a prior agreement with your client stating such. You only charged them for a trip fee, nothing more and you probably didn't even deliver the sketch to them. You still own the contents of your work file and can use any non-confidential information in it to perform a new assignment. Charge him extra for having the nerve even ask you such a thing.

Last edited:

Artemis Fowl

Professional Status
State
Michigan
You already got a healthy fee for a pretty sketch and some time at the lake. IMO nothing good will come of your involvement at this point.

J Grant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Why would you provide your work to a competitor who took a job for X reasons that you were originally assigned?and then be responsible if SF are off they can blame you for wrong sf would not do it for any $.

On the other hand why play a stupid trick and give a phone number to state board, phony story about assistant etc.

He asked, your answer is no, or ignore the request act professional and not like an azz

Last edited:

GWISC

Professional Status
State
Wisconsin
If you weren't good enough to complete the assignment, then your field notes are not good enough either. Also, I would think this would warrant a complaint to the CFPB as the real estate agent interfered with the appraisal selection, but you probably already know that.

Or, Send him an 8 x 10 drawing and say you only got the shed before you were pulled off the job. He doesn't know when you got the cancellation.

Meandering

Elite Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
Pennsylvania
Call the client and tell them you are reporting this violation of AIR to the cfpb, and they can sort out the bodies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks