• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

You Know There's A Shortgage Of Listings When

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elliott

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Oregon
You know there's a shortgage of listings when its harder to find comparable listings than comparable sales.
I set my first parameters and get 1 listing and 50 sales, so I have to expand the search until I at least can find two or three active listings.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
I'm seeing that a lot here. Just finished an appraisal in a typical residential neighborhood and there were no active listings of a comparable property. 13 sales and one under contract. Agents are using that to say we need to time adjust. I like to tell them in order to use a time adjustment the VA requires the appraiser to include listings to support it. No listings...no time adjustment.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
Noted twice this week that all the sales that day were bare land

Elliott

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Oregon
Maybe we need a federal inquiry.....could be a shortage of realtors is the cause of the listing shortage and standards to be a realtor should be lowered (just need a car to carry people and signs and a solid color jacket/pant suit)....just saying.

Tom4value

Professional Status
State
Massachusetts
I am finding that in a few markets I appraise in. Just Friday, I did an appraisal where the client requires two current listings. I had to use ranches that were far superior in location, size and quality because they were the ONLY two ranches listings listed for sale in town. All my comp sales were close by and recent so in my market comments I still said in balance but put in the caveat that unless similar ranches entered the market soon, there will be a shortage and an increase in values.

djd09

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Ohio
Common sense would dictate that if there is a lack of current comparable listings an addendum stating this fact would suffice.

Listings are like girls that you never kissed.

norapp

Professional Status
State
New York
I have been finding a shortage of listings where I am also. Both rural and suburban and have added some comments re: supply and demand.

timd354

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
I'm seeing that a lot here. Just finished an appraisal in a typical residential neighborhood and there were no active listings of a comparable property. 13 sales and one under contract. Agents are using that to say we need to time adjust. I like to tell them in order to use a time adjustment the VA requires the appraiser to include listings to support it. No listings...no time adjustment.
So the VA does not want to know the actual market value in an increasing market unless there are listings?

If what yo state is true, then in my opinion this is an unacceptable assignment condition.

Last edited:

Tim Hicks (Texas)

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Texas
Listings do not prove anything until they are closed. Why go fishing for listings if there are none from the immediate market area?

J Grant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
A shortage of listings is a market condition....it can mean buyers might bid up a property due to scarcity and no other reason . We had a shortage here for a part of the year, now I see inventory growing again.

It becomes problematical when a client requires 2 listings...when there are no relevant listings to be had, for appraiser to go far afield and drag in a not similar property listing just to satisfy the requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks