• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Your $ignature

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue1

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
After reading the posts about the AMC's and how they continue to try to lower our fees I am struck with this thought. They need our signature. No matter what they say or try to do the STILL need us to "sign on the line" to make their deals go through. I touched on this in another post but, I can't help but think.....Why are we selling ourselves so cheaply? No matter what "product" you give your client, it still carries all the liability of any other "product" doesn't it? Even a "desktop" requires you to lend your expertise and accept some liability......right? How can anyone accept $50 for that! Are any of you out there actually accepting $50 for anything? If so WHY? (O.K. so I'm ranting)........

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
New Preferred format
Address ___________________________
Our Estimate $X
Your Opinion $X

IF YOUR OPINION AND OUR ESTIMATE IS NOT THE SAME, EXPLAIN HERE AND REFUND YOUR $12 FEE!

_____________________ YOUR SIGNATURE & STAMP

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
That was good Terrel!

Blue1,

There is only a small percentage of the total number of appraisers that even know about this site. Many think appraising is just no big deal, never verify anything, and think that those of us that do are crazy. It's easy for the 'others' to make money on volume when you don't care and don't actually appraise.

PLUS, LACK OF ENFORCEMENT. Those of us here know what's happening out there, who they are and who they do their frauds for. It's all right here on this forum except the names of the guilty - until after something is done about them which takes a very long time.

The lenders aren't turning them in. Those of us that would rarely get our hands on the evidence. Many state boards are doing nothing about it.

Until we actually DO SOMETHING, that means each on every one of us here on this forum, nobody else is going to.

My lowest fee is $75 for a close by completion inspection. My name doesn't go on ANYTHING for less. If it includes a value, the minimum is $300. If the cost of appraisals had kept up with inflation for the past 10 years, the minimum should be at least $750. (someone here will figure out what it really would be for us)

jtrotta

Will not leave my office for less than $100 and then again it depends on where I'm going and for what purpose.

Simple math; mileage + wear & tear on your vehicle; what is your knowledge worth :?: What will it cost you for being "non-compliant" :?:

Pam your close on the "inflation" issue, had one company not to long ago tell me, they only pay $275 - ; gave them the option to view my work on 4 jobs and then conform to my fee or I cut them loose. All's fair in love & war and right now there's to much war goin on for appraisers.

Blue1 - when I use to remodel, we would always get the "cut throats" in the business and then when all the good guys were gone, the people would resent the "shoddy work" & the cons being played on them. The people will pay a Fee for good work no matter what anyone tells you.
Thats a fact!

8)

Karl

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Arizona
Work Cheap get Cheap. Heard many people say I had the lowest prices in town WHEN I was in the business. I like those that think when they get stiffed on an Appraisal they THINK they lost the Fees of ONE Appraisal. That is the WRONG answer. Any & All businesses HAVE those that are only in business for the DOLLAR. Most of them come & go fast. Spending time FUMING about the BAD in ANY Business I THINK just burns up energy that could be used to make yourself just a little better. That doesn't mean not to take time out to send off a letter to those that it is THIER BUSINESS & that are getting paid to get those that are not practicing business in a LEGAL manner.

Blue1

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Pam,

I believe there's lots of silent "eyeballs" on this forum. Maybe some of them will see my post and think twice.......maybe I'm dreaming......but then, I'm generally an optomist......(Which gets you absouletly nowhere on this forum! :lol: :lol: )

Karl,

You're right, rant over.....back to work! :lol:

Ross (CO)

Professional Status
State
Colorado
Blue !, ..... while the subject of price-fixing or fee-fixing is considered by so many as taboo, and not permitted, just feel good knowing that so many other professional trade groups do it all the time. They have national associations and national meetings and discuss trends in the economy which direct their establishment of base fee charges for services performed and share their costs of doing business. A car mechanic in 1990 might have charged $30/hr and today it's $65/hr. Our profession is about the only one I can think of which is forced to consider less per hour today than 12 years ago ! We even have customers and clients who are dictating to many what they will pay for a certain report "in your area".....and many in our group are accepting. Ever seen a nature program where fish are flopping around in a mud puddle as they swam into a certain corner of the lake and now there is a land bridge 6" too high and they are trapped ?.... just a flip-floppin' and perhaps not being able to hold out till the next monsoon. No real purpose for that question.....just a random thought. Not much monsoon activity in the western states over the last 6 months. Like you said, they need our signature. Actually though, Blue 1, anyone's signature will do.

Blue1

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Ross,

If an AMC with hundereds of clients and (maybe) hundreds of appraisers dicates a fee......isn't THAT price fixing? Just wondering......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks