1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

A nice analogy of the HVCC

Discussion in 'Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, USPAP' started by Scott McCallum, Mar 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott McCallum

Scott McCallum New Member

May 18, 2006
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Illinois
    So, the mob comes to town and commits several crimes. The over-seeing politician makes a very public posturing statement about how the criminal actions are not acceptable and files suit against the mob. The mob promises that they can stop the crime (which they played the largest role in starting) if they are allowed to oversee the criminals. The posturing politician agrees - at the expense of all others.

Isn't this a great analogy of what the HVCC really is accomplishing? Cuomo files suit against WAMU and eappraiseit and then rewards them. There are certain parts of the HVCC that are good (e.g. not pressuring appraisers, not witholding work, etc...) - but any ethical appraisal company has always implemented them. I have told numerous companies that I could not do their work - for reasons already addressed in USPAP - with full knowledge that my decision would result in not receiving their work. Sure, some things (such as plaster walls, carbuerated engines, film development companies, etc...) have gone away - but these were due to changes in technology. Good appraisers are being sent away solely due to political posturing. An appraiser in a class that I took this past week stated: "I only do business with them (the AMC's)and for restricted fees because no one else will hire me". After a few minutes of talking with her, I realized why...she needed proper training. Stand up to these AMC's. Tell them "NO!" to their fees. By accepting their work at their fees, you truly are damaging a profession.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.