1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Funeral Home.photo descriptions.HELP!

Discussion in 'Commercial/Industrial Appraisals' started by CGgonnabee, Dec 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CGgonnabee

CGgonnabee Member
    Gold Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2008
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Virginia
    Struggling with photo labels...room with sample caskets...casket store...retail area? Morgue...body cooler? Embalming room...Mortician's lab?

I am so NOT GOOD AT THIS ONE... stomach rolled the entire time I was there. Give me a convenience store next time, please.

2. PropertyEconomics

PropertyEconomics Elite Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Professional Status:
    State:
    New Mexico
    Why not just call it the Casket Room ....

The Holding Room ... Receiving Room

The Embalming Room ...

Better yet .. why not call the Funeral Home and ask them the names of the rooms as they use them in their business ... very professional and both the borrower and the lender can discuss the appraisal using the same terminology because thats what you used. :icon_idea:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  3. Tom Woolford

Tom Woolford Elite Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Florida
    Sample caskets = marketing area. Casket storage = warehouse, Morgue= refrigeration facilities, Lab = processing area.

4. JT1974

JT1974 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Wisconsin
    just be thankful you didn't have to label any photos with "cremation oven" or "femur grinder". The femur grinder is like a coffee grinder, but for bones that won't burn down like the femur, pelvis, etc.

I guess it's assignments like funeral homes that make us all appreciate just how good we have it at our jobs. We may complain about uncooperative property owners at times, but I suppose over on the funeral directors forum dot com they complain about uncooperative corpses. You know, I'll bet that job is really getting difficult with the obesity problem in this country. Just think what those poor guys go through in the embalming room when they're trying to change the oil on a 400 pounder.

Oh well, I've gotta get back to enjoying my holiday vacation..........this Captain Morgan and Pineapple isn't gonna drink itself!

:new_all_coholic:

5. Terrel L. Shields

Terrel L. Shields Elite Member
    Gold Supporting Member

May 2, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Arkansas
    That's one assignment I would not have stomach for. A butcher shop is bad enough.

6. Pittsburgh Pete

Pittsburgh Pete Elite Member

May 6, 2008
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Pennsylvania
    No stomach problems--funeral homes tend to be very clean and orderly. Usually not embalming during inspections. Except for the slight tinge of odor in the embalming areas, they are relatively easy on the stomach.

7. ETex2

ETex2 Sophomore Member

Dec 10, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Texas
    I actually appraised a local county morgue a couple of years ago. Attorney for the county accompanied me on the inspection, and he completely freaked out and refused to set foot anywhere near where bodies were stored (even in lockers). Fortunately, no autopsies were being done while we were there.

8. residentialguy

residentialguy Elite Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Minnesota
    OP,

Just label it: "Room where all the cool cats hang out" ....then sign the report with your Avatar.

9. Brian Weaver

Brian Weaver Senior Member

Apr 16, 2005
    Professional Status:
    Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.
    State:
    Illinois
    Service Entrance - Receiving caskets, bodies, flowers, etc.
    Reception Area -
    Chapel - Directly accessible from reception area. Sometimes called salons.
    Family Room - Screened from public view.
    Minister's Lounge -
    AV Room - Adjacent to or near chapel(s) where AV equipment is stored and run
    Preparation Room - Body prep, sinks, hoist, etc.
    Dressing Room - Adjacent to Prep, for makeup and whatnot
    Business Office -
    Arrangement Office - Private (not the same as the biz office)
    Selection Room - Casket showroom
    Flower Room -
    Restrooms -
    Staff Lounge -
    Garage
    Utility Room -
    That's about it.

10. Frederick

Frederick Senior Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Professional Status:
    State:
    New Jersey
    I did one years ago and the oddest thing about it I thought was that it had an apartment that was rented to a young woman who lived by herself.

I don't think I could have lived there by myself. Just a little too freaky on those stormy winter nights.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.