• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Here Is Why FHA Fees Go Up $150

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is the wood so dark. It looks like fire damage. or just black mold???

Moisture damage. Wet wood goes through various stages when the fungi attacks it. Typically when its black is when the moisture level is at the highest and the fungi is inside the wood structure. I don't use the term "black mold" since that diagnosis requires a lab analysis of the wood for a species of fungi. Many fungi are black, but the common perception is that "black mold" and Stachybotrys are synonymous.

You must be a young whipper snapper. In my day it was $29.95 and you got $5 free metal work!
Hey, I has an old rust bucket High Boy Ford (1976) and I bought a "dead" half ton 1977 PU at a school auction for $300. I had a guy take the body off and switch it to my High Boy. Then he repainted the truck. $300 plus the remains - it had an engine and transmission that were rebuildable. That was in 1995. $600 and the truck looked like new. I even took it to Colorado.

You have been warned!,

:rof:
Hey, I has an old rust bucket High Boy Ford (1976) and I bought a "dead" half ton 1977 PU at a school auction for $300. I had a guy take the body off and switch it to my High Boy. Then he repainted the truck. $300 plus the remains - it had an engine and transmission that were rebuildable. That was in 1995. $600 and the truck looked like new. I even took it to Colorado.

1965... my madcap mother bought a mid-50's Karmann Ghia and put a horrible green coat of paint on from Earl Scheib... $29.95. It was a fun little car (all the kids got in at the same time and mom took us for a drive. Wish I had it now. lol

mid-50's Karmann Ghia
An old college girl friend drove one. She became a state Park Ranger... Real spiffy in her uniform and packing a sidearm. She was still driving it the last time I heard from her.

While many appraisers think FHA is business as usual it is not. My opinion is when you think the report is done it's really not. Nobody ever thinks about the back end business costs. When you miss the squirrels or birds in the attic from your head and shoulders, the mold in the basement, the termites you didn't see, unsafe conditions you missed, the bad odors, the lawsuits from buyers that find issues in the house you said no conditions exist, the airport contour mapping you have to do, all 3 approaches to value if applicable, side view comp pics, plus any injury you may sustain to your health, additional lenders stips, comments you need to address from some review appraiser, the time spend on issues, and soon to come higher E &O. I think a fee increase is justified. You have been warned!, take care.

That could be said about any appraisal we perform FHA or not. How many of us are signing the appraisals without even realizing what's on line #2 of the Appraiser's Certification. With word's like "complete" and "specific", homeowner's can sue us for just about anything when they don't agree with something in the appraisal.

I don't feel it's business as usual either and I have increased my fees as well. I'm even having to turn down a large chunk of work and I'm still busy.

Today I had my first 2 FHA orders come over since my increased fee. I'll take them.

1965... my madcap mother bought a mid-50's Karmann Ghia and put a horrible green coat of paint on from Earl Scheib... $29.95. It was a fun little car (all the kids got in at the same time and mom took us for a drive. Wish I had it now. lol
Those old Karmann Ghias are awesome looking cars. Its too bad that I am very tall and don't fit into small cars or else I would love to own one.

Last edited:

1965... my madcap mother bought a mid-50's Karmann Ghia and put a horrible green coat of paint on from Earl Scheib... $29.95.

I remember Earl Scheib Commercials well...
"I'll paint any car for $29.95... no ups...no extras"

BELOW IS A STIP AN APPRAISER GOT:

View attachment 26947

FHA might not be requiring it but some clients are going to require it. They already are.

THE ABOVE IS A STIP FROM AN AMC.
I am thinking we are all going to be calling for inspections of attic and crawl spaces by license and bonded inspectors from here on out. Or stating that the home was inspected by a licensed and bonded inspector and that the appraiser is not a home inspector.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back