• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

How Many Hours?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walter Kirk

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2003
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
New Jersey
After over 25 years as a licensed appraiser I have decided to upgrade to certified general. I have plenty of course credit and a large number of commercial appraisals which I completed while working with other appraisers. Since many of these appraisals are 15 to 20 years old I have absolutely no idea how many hours that I worked on each of them.
My question is what would be a reasonable number of hours to claim as an average? The appraisals in question are
complete self contained appraisals of small commercial properties used in estate valuation. Would it be reasonable to claim 100 hours each? 50 hours? I would appreciate information on what others have claimed.
 
Most states have a time period for which you can submit reports. I don't think 10-20 year-old appraisals will be accepted.

Just my opinion, I doubt the reports you completed were "self-contained".
 
Every state is different. When I obtained my certification after being out of the business for four years, Arizona let me use appraisals within 10 years of the application date, they would not consider anything older than that. The 10 year time limit was part of the instructions on the appraisal log portion of the application, so I would start by looking up the CG application for NJ or calling someone at the NJBOA. I would be surprised if they would let you use anything over 10 years old. Good luck.
 
If your log was submitted previously they might allow credits. I assume you still have copies of the reports. Our state would look with jaundiced eyes at any claim over 40 hours per commercial report and more likely would think 20 unless a very complex property. My typical commercial report is 12 to 20 hours. Not that I haven't had a few that exceed 100 hours.
 
I would keep it to 20 to 25 hours per report.
 
They do not count in Indiana.
 
I'm doing the same thing, so good luck!
I don't think anything older than 10 years would fly.

I wish my appraisals ranged from 50 - 100 hours, but that's not what I have. My log ranges from 20 - 30 hours. I haven't done any mega shopping malls NYC skyscrapers so maybe your reports have required more time.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back
Top