Reeling In The First Bite

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by allison lucas, Jul 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allison lucas

allison lucas New Member

Apr 12, 2003
    Hello Forum!

So I recently received an order from a so-far-great client.

Aside from representing our firm as professionally solid and consistent (ie, returning phone calls immediately, communicating with client re: turnaround time and appt set with homeowner, and appearing professional on paper and over the phone, etc), I'm wondering how I might reel this firm in.

Any ideas on what's worked for you guys in order to keep those good clients? Any treats I can send so they'll remember me (they're out of town)? I feel like I'm dating in this world as I don't want to come on too strong....so what's appropriate post first order? I do plan on turning the report around sooner than quoted so I know that will help.

Thanks in advance for any and all responses/ideas :blueflower:

-Allison

2. Claude From NY

Claude From NY Senior Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    New York
    I think that you have done all the right things. For the most part clients want professionals that communicate and have good turn times. That's why they will remember you for the next assignment. I really don't think sending treats and gifts can give you an edge.

As you have discovered, the key IMO is to be consistent with the level of communication that you are offering your client. For example, don't start with promises of 24HR turn times and daily updates if you are not going to be able to deliver.

3. phil cadorette

phil cadorette New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Your doing the right things and laying a good foundation. Here are two quick things you can do to solidify or give you the edge with a new prospect.

1) Have testimonials from your clients stating why they enjoy doing business with you. You may have to help them a little but the more you have the better.

2) Consider a (USP) Unique Selling Proposition for your firm - Essentially you want to tell the client why they should do business with you over the competition. What is unique about your firm that stand out from the competition? i.e. Fed Ex - When it absolutely has to be there overnight. Dominoes - Pizza delivered hot to your door in 30 minutes or its free.

3) The client wants to know What's In It For Me.

4. Bill Rose

Bill Rose Senior Member

Aug 25, 2003
  5. Dan/Fla

Dan/Fla Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Florida
    Communicate, Communicate, Communicate, When I started my own company going on 4+ years ago. I had 3 goals that is to grow in value and income, NEVER work a client whom my former Supervisor had. and run an honest business. From talking to my clients in general conversations the thing I hear over and over about me is that when they call I answer the Phone and or call them back always less than 30 minutes after I am called. By Business phone is my Cell and I never avoid them. If there is a problem getting a hold of access person I email, fax or call the same day the I realize there is a problem. Over 90% of my business today is clients I did not contact 1st, they came to me. Over the years I have fired many clients, the ones whom pay late, are a general pain, or do not want to pay enough. The ones whom stopped sending me orders are the ones I priced myself out of their company which was the Idea.

6. Doug in NC

Doug in NC Senior Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    North Carolina
    There's really not much more you could do. Clients generally want speedy turnarounds, good communication (especially if there is some problem - don't wait until the assignment is completed to give them a heads up), and reasonable fees. Unfortunately, what they think is reasonable isn't always what we have in mind.

Now the real key is finding quality clients who pay within 30 days, pay at least $100 more than Skippy charges, won't pressure you for a value, and will treat you like a professional. Good luck finding them. Can you say "Needle in a haystack"? :D

7. Rich Hahn

Rich Hahn Senior Member

May 2, 2003
    Professional Status:
    General Public
    State:
    Colorado

hit the value

they will love you..

Rich

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.