1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Small World Ain't it?

Discussion in 'Arkansas' started by Terrel L. Shields, Jul 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terrel L. Shields

Terrel L. Shields Elite Member
    Gold Supporting Member

May 2, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Arkansas
    Met a man this morning and he looked vaguely familiar. He talked about how he had run cattle from Conway to Danville and lived in these parts for some of the past 15 years. I had seen some of his farms that sold and in fact, recalled he had swapped a poultry farm and a small farm in the edge of Oklahoma years ago. I had appraised one end of that deal.

Finally, he mentioned that his son was a geologist. So I asked him if he had ever worked on rigs. He said, Yes, he had worked on them as a young man and knew Bob Miller of the old Miller Drilling Co. in Ft. Smith. He had returned for 5 years when cow prices got cheap back in the 1980s. He used the job to support his cowboy habit. He had drilled on wells near Paris and Charleston. By then it clicked. I had worked with him about 1986 on a rig near the town of Paris, which is about 140 miles from my home. I said, "If you are the guy I am thinking of, you had someone stealing your hay bales out of the field." He said, "Yep, that was me." Hmmm . Small world isn't it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.