• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Do I need to back and measure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CANative

Elite Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2003
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
I'm reviewing an appraisal of a newly constructed residence. The value is wrong because the appraiser is a lying, cheating, no good skippy who I turned in to OREA, OREA did not officially sanction but scolded and then she's back to her old tricks after getting her hand slapped by OREA.

But I digress. The scope of the review assignment did not include an interior inspection but the appraisal was "as is" and there was still a construction crew at the site so I went in. I was busy taking notes of all the items not finished and looking around the house with the original report in hand. Took my photos, made notes and left. I was kind of distracted because no one knew who I was and were giving me the evil eye.

But thinking back now (and reading some agent comments on the listing) I think there is a large foyer so that the upper level has a large open to below area and that is not reflected in the building sketch or the calculations.

If I disclose that I inspected the interior then I worry about liability for the GLA discrepancy (if any). I can't remember for certain.
 
That decision is determined by how far the subject was. The further away, with more twisty gravel roads, the more likelihood you'll have to go back and measure. :rof: :rof: BTW was the original based on plans & specs or original measurements?
 
Sounds like early Alzheimer's to me. Better ask a doctor rather than the forum what you whould do. :shrug:
 
I would go back before they get it buttoned up and you really have to explain what you are doing there. When in doubt remeasure.
 
Was measuring part of the scope of work the review? Don't you have the original appraisers sketch? It should be easy enough to see if the area was omitted from the sketch, no?

I would probly just note I suspect problems with the GLA and explain my concern.
 
You have a clipboard and a tape measure, you can go anywhere. If anyone asks say "I'm with the bank."

I say measure and turn Ms Skippy in again. Our local Ms Skippy had a 1400 Sqft "L" shaped house which she made into a rectangle 2000 Sqft house! I appraised the house next door and took a picture of the patio which she called living area.
 
Last edited:
Don"t know how the builder's do it out west, locally a set of prints are in most construction site boxes for the local govt building inspectors and others to reference. If the prints are available I'd consider taking a picture of any appropriate sheets if time is an issue.
 
Last edited:
Out West anything on the construction site not bolted down or locked up gets ripped off. Oh and the best time to measure and take pictures is when the crew is on lunch break.
 
I don't have access to any building plans and the sketch in the report under review is just sketch of the perimter walls with room locations labeled but not interior walls (like what most forumites seem to prefer but I do not).

Like I admitted, I kind of spaced out while walking through the house and only have a vague memory that there was some open to below space near the stair case. While I was reading the listing agent comments (from the listing that the appraiser did not mention) it states "soaring foyer leads to..." so now I'm unsure.

The house is about 1,000 square feet larger than what is being built in this older neighborhood and there is only one sale of a new house this size or larger anywhere in nearby neibhborhoods. No good comps, so I don't think the issue would have any effect on the value, it's just a reporting matter.
 
If it was your appraisal (and it is) what would you do?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back
Top