• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Automate Data Entry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you looked at DataMaster and/or Spark?

Importing data from MLS systems into appraisal forms software has been available for a very long time. How it works for an individual appraiser depends on (1) the choice of importing software (2) the choice of forms software (3) the structure of the local MLS, and (4) the type of properties in the area.
Will take a look, thanks
 
I do appreciate this viewpoint. I always try to check my work and make sure that things make sense. Of course, I sometimes don't catch my errors even after combing through the report more than once. I don't want AI to replace us. Maybe what would be nice is if the MLS companies would start standardizing the way the information is presented. I use 3 different MLS and everything is in a different spot. I'm pretty used to it now, so it's not so bad, but anyway...just sayin.
I'm certainly not dissuading the data import function, but I think it requires a concerted effort when reviewing the results. Data entry just has another kind of need for care, not a lack for such. I'm on the fence regarding MLS data (I have had raw data from across the country sent to me and have yet to find any that matches the abject incompetence embedded in ours). Some might think they can export our data and run with it, but unless you understand it, you will be in for a surprise. Kind of a built-in hedge against AVMs (and our price data is not included in public records), so I don't argue about it, I just know how to deal with it fairly efficiently.
 
Remember that Realtors are idiots and the MLS is strewn with errors.
I've never understood the "Hatfields and MaCoys" mentality in regards to realtors vs appraisers. I like talking to realtors. Are there "bad" realtors? Well....yeah. Just as there's bad cops, construction workers, DMV workers, appraisers....the list goes on and on. Next time you're at a purchase assignment, greet the realtor with a big smile and a good morning. Give him/her a sincere thank you for the sales they hand you to support their listing.....you don't have to use them. The adversarial mood in the air will disappear instantly.
The responses to your inquiry are why the appraisal profession is a dinosaur on the brink of extinction.
Oh come on.....this is not the end of the world. This is the AF....let the cat's toy with the mouse a little bit before giving the answer. We need to see if the OP can take a little guff and stick around and come back with more appraisal related dilemmas.

Use Spark. It should enter a lot of what you need, just verify the data. I have seen it to be very accurate, with just a prior transaction missing here or there on very rare occasion.
Agree 100%. This is what I use. However, the OP must remember to scrub the data (outliers) from the MLS to get accurate results for the market analysis though.

Their reports are 60+ pages long chock full of useless graphs and analysis, only to arrive at a conclusion that should have probably been developed in a couple of hours.
Huh....I thought you used Spark? You don't import the graphs, charts and analysis as well as write a through explanation as to how you came to your value conclusion?
Im kinda of offended, but I also agree with you. lol. I hate seeing fluff and the report is still shet....number hitter. Skippie the number hitter with a fluff report....using superior comps to meet the contract price, instead of making market condition adjustments.
I don't ever think I've seen charts and graphs in a skippy report....Just C3's across the board and adjustments from "the list".

I have NEVER heard a UW or Fannie say "that appraiser explained things too much and included too much data....it is usually I wish they would explain more and add data to support their conclusions?
Absolutely.
 
I sometimes don't catch my errors even after combing through the report more than once.
Pro Tip: The most foolproof way to find almost all of your errors is to deliver the report to your client. The next morning, they jump off the page at you without much effort at all on your part!
 
Hi, I am a lowly appraiser assistant (working toward my license). We use TOTAL to enter the data into our reports. I know that the software can fill in the comp data in the grid if that comp has been previously used in another report, however, I still have to tediously enter the MLS info into the grid by hand most of the time. Does anyone have a better system (free or cheap)? I've tried converting the MLS pdfs into Excel but it's wonky and I still have to enter the data manually anyway. Thanks for any help.
Lowly appraiser assistant,

I am a highly esteemed appraiser (he, he!) and I use Bradford Technologies Clickforms and they have a service that does that for you via the MLS number. Yes there is a fee added to the annual contract but it is well worth it. I highly doubt that BT are the only geniuses who do this so check with TOTAL.

If that is taken off your plate, it frees up time to verify the important stuff (correct GLA, sale dates,
prior sales, etc.).
 
Hi, I am a lowly appraiser assistant (working toward my license). We use TOTAL to enter the data into our reports. I know that the software can fill in the comp data in the grid if that comp has been previously used in another report, however, I still have to tediously enter the MLS info into the grid by hand most of the time. Does anyone have a better system (free or cheap)? I've tried converting the MLS pdfs into Excel but it's wonky and I still have to enter the data manually anyway. Thanks for any help.
Hi, and welcome to the analytical world of appraising real estate.

I skipped a bunch of the Dear Abby advice responses you were starting to get, so I apologize if this has already been said.

Total is a really great product, but the integration of information has always been a problem because of the inaccuracies of the data entered by various real estate agents with no parameters. I'm not sure about others, but I'm a blazing fast typist and I can literally punch in manually all my data for a comp much faster than integrating it, and then having to go through each line and correcting.

In our region, real estate records are also very unpredictable. Until the MLS requires fixed parameters of entry, trying to integrate that information is going to be clunky. (At least, in our area.)
 
Hi, I am a lowly appraiser assistant (working toward my license). We use TOTAL to enter the data into our reports. I know that the software can fill in the comp data in the grid if that comp has been previously used in another report, however, I still have to tediously enter the MLS info into the grid by hand most of the time. Does anyone have a better system (free or cheap)? I've tried converting the MLS pdfs into Excel but it's wonky and I still have tou enter the data manually anyway. Thanks for any help.
If you are able to master the Spark For Appraisers platform, which is a very reasonably-priced functionality that captures about 95% of all MLS and Assessor data, and uploads it into the appraisal report in minutes. My production increased by 400%, and the quality of my reports increased significantly because of the extra time I have to continually refine my templates. You will be amazed at the functionality, as well as the quality of customer support. (Once last year I received a return call from customer service, even though I didn't leave a v/m. They called me upon noticing a missed call. Nobody in the entire civilized world does that) Of course the appraiser must identify and download to their desktop the subject MLS listing, the neighborhood data, the competing sales, and the comps, which is uploaded into Spark and then downloaded into the appraisal report.
 
I'm certainly not dissuading the data import function, but I think it requires a concerted effort when reviewing the results. Data entry just has another kind of need for care, not a lack for such. I'm on the fence regarding MLS data (I have had raw data from across the country sent to me and have yet to find any that matches the abject incompetence embedded in ours). Some might think they can export our data and run with it, but unless you understand it, you will be in for a surprise. Kind of a built-in hedge against AVMs (and our price data is not included in public records), so I don't argue about it, I just know how to deal with it fairly efficiently.
Spark flags any discrepancies between the Assessor and the MLS listings, allowing the appraiser to decide which is more accurate, if either--although the latter inevitably are based upon the former.
 
Spark flags any discrepancies between the Assessor and the MLS listings, allowing the appraiser to decide which is more accurate, if either--although the latter inevitably are based upon the former.
No Spark here.
 
I don't argue there are no ways to improve. But I am convinced our most dangerous competition is from very large organizations employing a few with licenses whose only function is to sign a report populated by others, quickly.

And don't dismiss the benefits of narrative reports. Having written many over the years for ag and commercial and residential for litigation, one thing is very clear to me. If you write something, text or number, as opposed to reviewing something already on the page (such as boilerplate that isn't tailored to the task at hand) you tend to gloss over errors far more often in the latter case.

I read an article this morning on how to develop a process by which to use Python and ChatGPT to create flashcards for learning some subject. From experience, there is benefit from gleaning the information from the source and writing it in your own terms, even if you never look at it again. Much the same as wrangling data. To each his own. I understand and trust my brain, so am in no rush to replace it with inferior, albeit quicker, things. After all, ChatGPT can generate BS faster than any of us will ever match. It will take a brain to shovel the BS aside to root out the truth.
Which is why I excused complex, farm, commercial, etc. assignments in my previous commentary. No doubt reading something is a great way to learn and remember, especially when you write it down after, but bottom line is for a standard residential property, the lack of efficiency by appraisers can be improved.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back
Top