• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

ClickForm Nighthawk

David S

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
Does anyone know they are going to release a new version appraisal software called Nighthawk? It will start automatically data collection / input, then generate PDF report at final? So we can't visually see what our report looks like until final version? When and where we can pick / select comps and do the grid adjustment? It tight some app to do the floor plan measurement and take photos automatically? Thanks!

Does anyone know they are going to release a new version appraisal software called Nighthawk? It will start automatically data collection / input, then generate PDF report at final? So we can't visually see what our report looks like until final version? When and where we can pick / select comps and do the grid adjustment? It tight some app to do the floor plan measurement and take photos automatically? Thanks!
Have you watched the video out by Bradford

The more they do for us, the less they want to pay us...

ic. Basically, the more auto fill out function, the less work left for us to do, then lead to less pay. We didn't create any data point. The only things we do are: select data point, analysis and revised, then drive the conclusion. If one day software can do everything, then our profession will be gone. Like scan app can help us measure the floor plan, but we have to pay the fee for the app.

In a sense it is vaporware. I say vaporware because in a sense I am sure you will get a product. Maybe in 1.5-2 years when Fannie Mae comes out with their new reprot format. And if I had to bet, all the NightHawk will do really is just generate reports in the new format.

Jeff seems geared towards hybrid reports. Simple stuff with automation. I'm a not interested. I am not really interested in Fannie Mae, although if somehow the market heats up, who knows. I just don't believe that will happen.

I am pushing on doing my own reports with R, MARS, publishing my own market area reports for the SF Bay Area. And occasionally doing narrative type residential reports. I am not sure that I will publish much of my code. Some for sure. The code is getting complex. Factor variables make things complex, I also support Degree=3, 3D type replationships. In reality, the R code becomes wicked as hell. But for me it is fun.

I will be using R with Quarto, QGIS and other cool products.

Last edited:
using R with Quarto, QGIS

You're ahead of 97% of appraisers, many of whom struggle with basic excel formulas and can't conduct a proper google search to save their life (no offense, but really - we need to know and master our tools).

You're ahead of 97% of appraisers, many of whom struggle with basic excel formulas and can't conduct a proper google search to save their life (no offense, but really - we need to know and master our tools).
It would be nice to know there are 3% of appraisers who use these tools. I wonder.

3% of appraisers
Maybe I'm overly optimistic ;)

But I've run into a decent number who know how to code, actually know statistics, etc. George Dell (for example) has had a number of appraisers go through his course.

The problem is that the appraiser is responsible for the data even when we are fed bad data. And MLS - stands for Mostly Lame Stuff - as it expresses the view of the agent who input the data. And even when linking to public data, well, it depends upon how that data is parsed from the database of the assessor and recorder. It might misstate the history. It might note that the MLS says 2,200 and the Assessor says, 1,920 SF, and if it simply puts one or the other in the pigeonhole it is supposed to a lot of misleading crap is created.

I mean how do you parse an agent's opinion of "good" condition with the actual condition? Do you trust it?
"Like new" means anything from fair to good. Fixer upper is often "tear her downer". Assessor age estimates are guesses too many times. Built in 1892? "30 years old" 70% remaining life. It was a comp roof when the assessor came by in 2014...it's metal now.

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back