• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Desk Review Form?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EASGeorge1314

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
What form is everyone using for an "Appraisal Form 2006 - Enhanced Desk Review?"

Thats the Review Short Form 2006 right? Not the NARA Residential Review Short Form 2006 right?

Its throwing me off a bit since the Review Short Form 2006 does not seemed to be revised since 1988 but the NARA one was revised in 2008 I believe...

Also, I guess the "enhanced" portion means they want comps no matter if I agree of disagree with the value right?

I do tons of field reviews, but never desktop reviews, so pardon my ignorance! :huh:

Thanks guys! :beer:

I don't think there's a "right" answer to that question.

I like the NARAMU 2002 form. Its an oldie but a goodie

I would advise to ask your client which they prefer. I do desk reviews and some don't care, but most like specific forms used.

Thanks!

I think you are right. I am going to ask them what they need before I take a blind stab in the dark. I was trying to avoid sounding ignorant to them, but better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks for your help anyway guys. :clapping:

I don't think you would sound ignorant at all. It was their mistake not puting the form they want you to use in the scope of work. They may just not understand that there is more than one form.

I'm curious as to the end result - I just had a similar order come my way.

What happened?

I think you are right. I am going to ask them what they need before I take a blind stab in the dark. I was trying to avoid sounding ignorant to them, but better to be safe than sorry.

Desk Review

I'm curious as to the end result - I just had a similar order come my way.

What happened?

They wanted the NARA short form 2006. So I am glad I asked! :)

But I would probably ask your client too. I am sure everyone is different. Makes more sense to confirm with them and give them what they want the first time. I am sure it would ruin your day to get a "revision request" stating they want you to type the whole thing over again on a different form. I know it would ruin mine, especially for what we get paid these days! I was surprised though that the work involved in a desktop was nearly equal to what is needed for a field review (as far as the narrative portion) and I got like $100 less to do the desktop. The days of marking a few boxes on the review with limited commentary are over! Its nice not having to drive anywhere when typing desk reviews, but I would rather get the extra $100 and just drive by the subject and comps! I rarely do desktops, and have been doing field reviews for a few years now, but lately there is a string of desktops orders out there (at least for my area).

Anyway, good luck to you!

I couldn't agree more. I did a couple desk tops a few weeks ago and have sworn them off for anything less than the same as a field review (or darn near close). It was a good client, BUT they wanted all MLS, county, data search results, etc. etc. Then they threw in the requirement to look over a CMA done by a Real Quest program (history pro?). Since that seemed to open up whole another can or worms (basically a new assignement within an assignment), I have no prob. turning them down. I think they took 4 hours each so it was SO not worth it.

Asking the client what is required of the assignment is not a display of ignorance.

Proceeding without being aware of assignment requirements...now, that would be ignorance.

It's become apparent to me lately that being aware of assignment requirements is, well, pert near impossible... The appraisal order typically appears cut and dry, as do the conversations with the clients - until the report is submitted. That's when the true requirements unfold.

I read the small print. It's the invisible print that's wasting my time. Even SOW clarification beforehand is no guarantee that the assignement won't evolve, or devolve as the case may be... And it takes quite a bit of time to achieve what I believe to be clarity in the first place.

Specific to the review in question, I was told the order fully defined the SOW, that nothing more would be requested. Following submission of the report, I've now been asked to assert my professional opinion beyond the appraisal under review... What began as a a reasonable fee is quickly whittled into a waste of time...

Ah, appraisal...

Asking the client what is required of the assignment is not a display of ignorance.

Proceeding without being aware of assignment requirements...now, that would be ignorance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back