• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Detached garage

kanoby

Freshman Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
Texas
Does my detached garage need drywall installed if I want to sell my dwelling. Garage is 35 feet from my house. Please advise

Many interior garages I see are studs and a moisture barrier. So, I don't think you "need" to drywall it.

That being said, is it a trend in the neighborhood that most garages are drywalled and finished? Would you get your return on investment if you finished the garage for the sale?

Appraisal-wise, I don't think you're going to see a big difference in the sale price if you left it as is.

Many interior garages I see are studs and a moisture barrier. So, I don't think you "need" to drywall it.

That being said, is it a trend in the neighborhood that most garages are drywalled and finished? Would you get your return on investment if you finished the garage for the sale?

Appraisal-wise, I don't think you're going to see a big difference in the sale price if you left it as is.
Thank you for sharing. What if I have electric power for lights a switches?

Again - the bump in value is probably not going to be offset by the cost. These types of things can often be considered 'marketability' items, and not necessarily 'value adds'. IOW - these types of things will often help a house sell more quickly, but might not result in any quantitative difference in overall value.

Thank you for sharing. What if I have electric power for lights a switches?
Once again, appraisal-wise, this is very low on the totem pole of valuation.

Appraisers make adjustments for features based on Market evidence. It would be very hard to determine a market reaction of a garage with drywall, power and lights as opposed to one without.

The primary concern for most buyers of your property is based on:

Location, gross living area of the dwelling, bedroom, bathroom count, it's condition, the home's curb appeal, and it's lot size.

The features, which you are talking about, help attract buyers and may help sell the home more quickly. But the aforementioned items are the meat and potatoes.

For example, I would paint the exterior of the house for curb appeal as opposed to drywalling the interior of the garage. IMO, that would garner a greater return on investment.

Again - the bump in value is probably not going to be offset by the cost. These types of things can often be considered 'marketability' items, and not necessarily 'value adds'. IOW - these types of things will often help a house sell more quickly, but might not result in any quantitative difference in overall value.
Thanks again, I'm
Not trying to get more money, I’m selling to my brother. Just want to make sure that it will pass the appraiser’s inspection. Thank you very much for your help.

Thanks again, I'm
Not trying to get more money, I’m selling to my brother. Just want to make sure that it will pass the appraiser’s inspection. Thank you very much for your help.
Oh, now we see.

An Appraiser's main concern is valuation. Even though we call out deferred maintenance issues or signs of deeper trouble (cracks in foundation leading to a call for inspection by a professional) an unfinished interior of a garage without power is not a concern for us.

We don't pass or fail, we observe and report.

Not needed, an over improvement.

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back