• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Do I need E&O Insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funky Obsolescence

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Minnesota
Hi. I contract a few times a year with an appraisal company. I've asked if I'm covered under their E&O Insurance. They say, "Yes". However, I'm wondering what to ask for (other than their word) to get confirmation that I am I'm covered for certain. If not I'll buy the insurance. Just don't want to risk losing what little $ I have if someone sues over an appraisal. Thoughts?

Don't you carry E&O insurance for your other clients? Yes, get your own E&O insurance.

Hi. I contract a few times a year with an appraisal company. I've asked if I'm covered under their E&O Insurance. They say, "Yes". However, I'm wondering what to ask for (other than their word) to get confirmation that I am I'm covered for certain. If not I'll buy the insurance. Just don't want to risk losing what little $ I have if someone sues over an appraisal. Thoughts?
I would be suspicious as its the individual licensed appraiser who is covered under a E & O Policy . Even staff at Wells Fargo B of A have to carry their own policy BUT some do get reimbursed for the cost of the premium.

Thanks for the reply. Good to know. This is my only client. Definitely better to be safe than really really sorry.

Thanks for the reply. Good to know. This is my only client. Definitely better to be safe than really really sorry.
One thing I can tell you is if you get sued they will not be there to pay your defense :)

When I owned a firm my E&O covered all my employees, but it would not cover a contractor. I never used contractors, so it was not a big deal to us - but I do recall that being specifically called out

minimal policy is not that much. the expense is the attorney fees if it drags out.

An E&O firm policy, like we have, covers all appraisers - even contractors (although I don't have one anymore).

Of the three firms I've used, they gave us a separate page showing the appraisers covered under the firm policy.

If you need more info, just let me know.

Does the appraisal company sign your reports as a supervisory appraiser? If not, you are not covered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back