• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

FEMA Designated Disaster Area Maps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim The Enchanter

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
I have seen a few orders lately that say subject is in a FEMA designated disaster area. Please comment if there is any damage to subject or properties in the 'hood. None of the properties has been in a burn area, mudslide area, or anything, afaik. In the same county, sure, but that covers a lot of ground.

I have googled but not found any kind of maps showing the designated disaster areas. Just much more general info. Does anyone have a link to maps or something specific where I can look and see if a property is in a disaster area?

https://www.FEMA.gov/FAQ-details/Maps-of-Federally-Declared-Disasters

There are many properties designated in flood zones that have never been damaged or flooded so the lender just wants to make sure the physical property is OK - If it makes you sleep better at night request the lender forward you a copy of the flood certification or disaster report in that area-because no FHA-VA-Conn-Freddie-Fannie is funded until a flood certification is in the underwriters file. As far as FEMA- MAPS many have not been updated in years and I never depend on them.

All of citrus county was declared a Federal Disaster Area before Irma hit last fall. We received virtually no damage from the storm but I got so many addendum requests I just started adding some boilerplate to every report. Problem solved.

Disaster areas are declaired by entire counties. There is no deliniation of specific street by street maps identifying the disaster. That is why they are asking you how that specific property is affected, or not

FEMA has declarations by County. If any part of the county is declared, then the whole county is declared. Could be that the part where your subject property had no damage. Just make that statement.

Disaster areas are declaired by entire counties. There is no deliniation of specific street by street maps identifying the disaster. That is why they are asking you how that specific property is affected, or not

Thanks, I was wondering if that was the case. I found Mr Rex link, but it does not have maps like I was looking for. I guess since they don't exist despite the page title.
As for flood maps, FEMA has updated their web site not too long ago. It gives you a much nicer firmette with the property location marked. Save pdf, add to report. Easy.

California Disasters

Interesting side note if you didn't already know ...a county can be declared a disaster area if it provides a huge amount of aid to other counties that were hit hard. That is what happened here in Bexar county after Hurricane Harvey, even though there was virtually no cases of damage from the storms. But because we were declared a disaster area, I kept getting asked to fill out a disaster report.

Last edited:
Thanks, I was wondering if that was the case. I found Mr Rex link, but it does not have maps like I was looking for. I guess since they don't exist despite the page title.
As for flood maps, FEMA has updated their web site not too long ago. It gives you a much nicer firmette with the property location marked. Save pdf, add to report. Easy.

They do have maps if you follow the directions. Look for pdf map.

They do have maps if you follow the directions. Look for pdf map.
Hey Bro, I use this source. Its official and I print the result into a PDF. When I use this I expand the picture to that it shows the nearest area in a flood zone. Sometimes the flood zone is real close other times it is not. Works for me because its not just a map but is an actual aerial. Try it out and let me know what you think.

On the Home Page left side column just click on the very top button. Labeled Digital Flood Maps. you should get a pop up, just click OK and then type in the full address. Walla there is the subject. You can zoom it in or out. The attached PDF is of my house

http://www.ncfloodmaps.com/

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back