• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Garage - Attached or Detached

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tumbuktu

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Texas
Garage.JPG

Garage 1 is only accessible after coming out of the main dwelling. It is however connected to main dwelling by 'Carport/Porte Cochere'.
Garage 2 is accessible from inside and attached to main dwelling, so it is an Attached Garage by every standard

Would Garage 1 be considered Attached or Detached? As always feedback and guidance would be appreciated.

View attachment 77612

Garage 1 is only accessible after coming out of the main dwelling. It is however connected to main dwelling by 'Carport/Porte Cochere'.
Garage 2 is accessible from inside and attached to main dwelling, so it is an Attached Garage by every standard

Would Garage 1 be considered Attached or Detached? As always feedback and guidance would be appreciated.
imo attached

It doesn’t matter what you call it. Just put this in your report and you’re golden.
1689375606824.jpeg

From the photos, both appear to have finished area above. They are built-in garages.

A quick definition search of the internet result in my finding this: An attached garage is connected to the main structure of your house by a door, passage, or shared wall. It may have rooms above it or provide a passage from the garage into your kitchen. A detached garage is a standalone building with no connection to your house.

I am sure there are other definitions out there, but this one seems pretty simple and straightforward. I have a neighbor who has an attached two car garage (share a common wall), but to enter the house you have to walk out the side door of the garage and across a covered porch and into the front entrance. It is an "L" shaped ranch style home with the garage being offset approximately 6'. The shared common wall is the formal living room, which runs front to back on that end of the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back