• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Ice Machine Phenomena

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meandering

Elite Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
Pennsylvania
At least two commenters to the forum, have found ice machines in commercial locations, as stand alone units.

Today, I got this email, so hopefully it will explain it if Ice Machines start popping up across the country in commercial locations.

Ice House America Featured Franchise for Veterans

Become a franchisee with Ice House America franchises and make transitioning from military service to civilian life much simpler. Military veterans obtain strong business and leadership skills that are difficult to learn. Ice House America recognizes the value of these skills and wants to put them to use with one of our IceBorn ice and water vending machines.

Ice House America recognizes the sacrifices of our US military and proudly supports their efforts on the battlefield and their efforts to reenter civilian life. That is why we are proud to waive the startup fee and the first 12 months of royalties to all qualifying military veterans. We are also an SBA approved franchisor.

Today, the packaged ice industry accounts for $4 billion in sales annually. Free-standing ice vending machines such as those manufactured by Ice House America account for more than 4% of that market. And that share is rapidly rising. Ice House America is leading the way with innovative technology, savvy strategic business planning and aggressive sales growth.

Here's their website:

http://www.veteransbusinessservices.us/product-item/ice-house-america/

Hope this helps explain it.

Interesting concept. I wonder what the ground rent would be for something like this.

Interesting concept. I wonder what the ground rent would be for something like this.

I've seen a couple of these around New Mexico. I doubt they're more than 100 square feet. Seems like a an ATM kiosk would be kind of similar. You really only need a few parking spaces and enough land for the footprint. You could easily fit one on another site as an accessory use. The one I've driven by many times before is located in front of a self-serve carwash.

Today, the packaged ice industry accounts for $4 billion in sales annually.

I suppose they take credit cards these days. Collecting a lot of quarters or dollar bills would be a problem. $4 Billion, That's a lot of cold cash. I'll assume nationwide, it's hard to imagine all that ice.

That's a big market. You're totally right though. Twice in one week! That ice machine is the real deal from the website. Who is your typical user? I'm trying to think of a time when I would go to an ice kiosk and I think of everytime we throw a party/function here at my house, it would be nice to get the coolers filled up and the containers we put food in. That's a few times a year. 4-5. that's about it since we have an ice-maker on our fridge. I read the resources on that website, but I guess I need to read some more.

Well maybe we should just make cleaner drinking water and people can make their own ice.

Well maybe we should just make cleaner drinking water and people can make their own ice.

Slightly off topic; I bought one of those Brita filtered water pitchers. Very nice!

Stand alone ice machines are all over south Louisiana and Mississippi. Like anything else there are some vandalism issues, according to the local news.

It sounds like another rip off franchise "opportunity" that benefits the manufacturer. Like machines that dispense CD's and the like. How profitable are they? Probably not much. You can buy ice in gas stations, convenience stores and grocery stores. Maybe in some rural outpost they would be needed but then people have to drive to it...people can buy their own ice maker and fridges come with them. Sounds like these folks are taking advantage of veterans, sorry to say, offering them this "opportunity".

Perhaps snack machine vending products make some decent income in the right locations, have never studied it.

A few years ago I saw a vending machine selling live bait and tackle. Looks like a similar concept. Actually I had considered investing in a few of these machines but getting a concession license to place them at boat ramps on State-owned or Federal Refuges was just too expensive and time consuming.

Have vending ice machines all over the place here. Most are on well water because fishermen use it for their bait wells. Best deal around at $1.50 for a cooler full of ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back