• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Public Service Announcement: Cincinnati MLS the Saga continues....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bearcat Bri

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Ohio
As many may know and many may not, Cincinnati MLS system (Rappatoni) was one of the victims of the August cyber attacks. The powers that be decided to put their stock into Perchwell which was a total disaster. The members of the Cincinnati MLS petitioned to force a vote and subsequently forced the leadership to switch back to Rapattoni which was just restored to functionality as the main operating system as of 02/20/2024. As a result of this debacle and a partial exodus of Realtors away from the Cincinnati MLS to Dayton MLS the Cincinnati MLS leadership has recently allowed agents to migrate Dayton sales too the Cincinnati MLS system and add pocket sales that were not put into the Perchwell system between August 2023 and March 2024. In theory this is a good idea. In reality, it is a whole other problem. As a result of the desire to get sales into the system, there has been a relaxing of regulations and a disregard for data integrity. The users of the system are faced with a large quantity of knowingly erroneous data and wildly incorrect market data. Days on market for many sales are being reported as negative values. Original list prices and price change information are not available, etc. This information is then being propagated into online third party data feeds.

As an example: On a single search including 360 total sales, 116 are reported in the system with negative days on market. (csv file is attached if you are curious)

Upon conveying concerns to the COO of the Cincinnati MLS, i was provided with this response.....

Thank you for your email and for sharing your concerns about the accuracy of certain data in our MLS system. We understand the importance of accurate information for market analysis and appreciate your feedback.

While we strive to maintain high standards for data quality, it's important to note that the purpose of entering information into the MLS goes beyond just analytics. The primary focus is to provide a comprehensive database that serves the needs of all our subscribers, including providing comparable sales data.

While these “Sold Before Sent” listings may result in inaccurate data for certain fields such as Days on Market (DOM) and Sales Price/List Price (SP/LP) ratio, many/most of our subscribers find value in having access to this information, even if it's not fully accurate – including other Appraisers. This is also why we require them to be “flagged” with Sold Before Sent. While it would be best to have a field to indicate this so you can exclude these types of listings in your analytics, our primary goal has been to get back to Rapattoni. We had accounted for this in Perchwell with OMS (Off MLS Sales).

It's also worth noting that DOM and SP/LP ratios have historically been challenging to maintain accuracy in MLS data due to various factors such as data entry errors, incomplete information, and intentional manipulation. As such, they may not always be the most reliable indicators for market conditions. We have always permitted Sold Before Sent and a significant number of listings have always been Sold Before Sent, but our current initiative right now is trying to improve the overall property sales data in our database since many sales were not entered in our MLS due to issues with Perchwell. Once we get caught up, it will go back to the “normal” amount we have had in the past.

We are continuously working to improve data quality and provide tools and resources to help our subscribers make informed decisions. Your feedback is valuable to us, and we will take it into consideration.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out.

Bottom line is that if you are a Cincinnati appraiser, verify verify verify. And do not utilize "sold before sent" sales in your marketing time/exposure time research unless you can get a full listing history from the listing agent. The leadership at MLS apparently does not care if the data is corrupt, complete or erroneous.

MLS mergers and provider changes happen. I am not disregarding your frustration or your warning to verify.

Just saying. Sheet happens.

Over the last, idk, 8 years, I have experienced similar with different MLS.
- In Iowa, two merged using rappitoni and went pretty smooth, except some missing information and photos
--- That one merged with another MLS also using rappitoni and went pretty smooth, except some missing information and photos
--- That one merged into another larger regional Iowa MLS that switched to paragon. It was a sheet show. A lot of missing and incorrect information and photos.
- In Illinois, two merged using paragon, blah blah blah
--- then merged again using paragon, blah blah blah
- Also in Illinois, one city MLS resisted merging and has never changed providers. Their fee is the highest and has lost many agents to the larger merged MLS.

When the merger was the same provider they used different versions or had them setup differently, so even though the same provider, it was not a smooth transition.

Just need to wait a year and the 12 months of sales information will be up to date.

MLS mergers and provider changes happen. I am not disregarding your frustration or your warning to verify.

Just saying. Sheet happens.

Over the last, idk, 8 years, I have experienced similar with different MLS.
- In Iowa, two merged using rappitoni and went pretty smooth, except some missing information and photos
--- That one merged with another MLS also using rappitoni and went pretty smooth, except some missing information and photos
--- That one merged into another larger regional Iowa MLS that switched to paragon. It was a sheet show. A lot of missing and incorrect information and photos.
- In Illinois, two merged using paragon, blah blah blah
- Also in Illinois, one city MLS resisted merging and has never changed providers. Their fee is the highest and has lost many agents to the larger merged MLS.

When the merger was the same provider they used different versions or had them setup differently, so even though the same provider, it was not a smooth transition.

Just need to wait a year and the 12 months of sales information will be up to date.
I appreciate the reply. I think the difference here is that we have a loss of data integrity. We have a 6+ month gap in our data that could have largely been avoided. Change certainly happens sometimes for the worse, but we currently have corrupted data in Cincinnati and leadership that simply does not care or is dismissive of the issue.
Does your MLS not provide a listing history in the website?
View attachment 86032
They do, but they are allowing agents to put in erroneous information.
1711163590383.png

Attachments

• 1711163590436.png
    1711163590436.png
    123.8 KB · Views: 0
We had something called Ambiance 20 years ago, if I recall correctly. Kinda pitiful. Then joined the central state MLS and that blew up pretty quickly. Everyone hated it. And back and forth. However, they did keep some sales from 20 years ago. It's not too bad. At one short point, locally we had Riskco(i think that was the name.) Great search tool. You made a broad search then you could add a feature and it would search only that larger pool and sorted accordingly. But we've not been breached. NEO MLS uses Flex and I like it very well. As for the agents, well, some are sly. Some are open.

We had something called Ambiance 20 years ago, if I recall correctly. Kinda pitiful. Then joined the central state MLS and that blew up pretty quickly. Everyone hated it. And back and forth. However, they did keep some sales from 20 years ago. It's not too bad. At one short point, locally we had Riskco(i think that was the name.) Great search tool. You made a broad search then you could add a feature and it would search only that larger pool and sorted accordingly. But we've not been breached. NEO MLS uses Flex and I like it very well. As for the agents, well, some are sly. Some are open.
Any MLS system will do. The problem is that Cincinnati has had a data issue for over 6 months and now the powers that be are knowingly allowing bad data to be entered into the system. That system propagates to others further disseminates the bad data.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back