• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Rural Residential Training?

Steve Pendleton

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Texas
I mostly do urban and suburban residential assignments, but more and more I am getting asked to do homes in rural areas. Most often these assignments involve multi-acre lots and outbuildings. Does anyone know of any CE courses that I could take which would help with learning more about this type of assignment? I'm not looking to learn about cattle or soil values, just how to handle multi-acre, in the country, with or without an ag exemption.

I mostly do urban and suburban residential assignments, but more and more I am getting asked to do homes in rural areas. Most often these assignments involve multi-acre lots and outbuildings. Does anyone know of any CE courses that I could take which would help with learning more about this type of assignment? I'm not looking to learn about cattle or soil values, just how to handle multi-acre, in the country, with or without an ag exemption.

I looked at McKissock. Must have missed that listing. Thanks!

Rural appraising takes a little different mind set than urban and suburban. Motivations are sometimes less clear. Is it the house, the acreage, outbuildings or a combination. Don't get hung up on distance of sales or adjustment ranges.

Your best classes will be from the ASFMRA - below TAKE THE LIVE COURSES
Appraising Unique and Atypical Properties
Barn-Dominium/Shouse/Shome - What It Is and What It's Not
Land in Transition
National Best Practices for Rural Property Appraisal
Appraising Rural Residential Properties
Rural Sales Analysis and Confirmation

I will add​

Land in Transition is critical to understanding land values
Then I'd take Best practices and go to individual property types. Unique properties, Barndomeniums etc.

I got a positive response from Natl Building Cost Guides about including Barn-Dominum classification in their cost book. maybe coming soon.

lucky you got GPS now to find them on a no sign, no address, long drive way street, all mailboxes on the corner.

lucky you got GPS now to find them on a no sign, no address, long drive way street, all mailboxes on the corner.
Yeah, back in the day those straight roads on quarter inch to the mile paper maps were a lot crookeder on the ground!

If they even have a mailbox
No 911 addressing when i started in 3 of the 4 counties I was working. That included my own address. Mailboxes might have the box but not the route. Mapping was clueless and the county plat book might be 10 years old. I still have some plat books from the 1980s.

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back