• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Sketching consistent with ANSI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tacoman

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
New Jersey
This is my first encounter with this situation with the latest ansi rule so I just want to double check things. I working on a ranch on a slab but the example declaration from the ANSI manual would apply so let's pretend it is as follows:
“A 28.2 x42.5 ft. two-story detached single-family house with 2,201 above-grade finished square feet and 807 below-grade finished square feet, plus 96 above-grade unfinished square feet in a utility room and 392 below-grade unfinished square feet in a basement.”
For the above-grade part of the sketch for this, would you draw a box to carve out the 96 square feet in your sketch program? It's in the middle of the house, not against an exterior wall and I didn't measure it's precise location vs exterior walls. So I could put in a box for the unfinished utility room and check it as not included in living area in the sketch program like I would for an "open to below" area.

Right now I've got the feature to automatically transfer the sketch measurements to the grid unchecked and manually added the 2,201 figure. (My sketch actually calculates the area as 2,297). I don't sketch each room but place labels in their general location. I suppose for a reader, the narrative description coupled with the sketch and photos gets the point across enough to not be misleading.

How do you address unfinished above grade areas in your sketch? In the past, I just included them as part of GLA if they were small since it was usually included in property record cards but this is obvious a no-no now.

For a cost approach calculator, I suppose I'd enter the full 2,297 figure, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back