• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

TAF's Industry Advisory Council

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Hatch

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
First off, let me preface this by acknowledging that I am one of the 600. One of the first, as a matter of fact. I am an AQB Certified USPAP Instructor and one of the conditions I agree to in order to hold that cert is to be an advocate for USPAP and to support the party line when acting in that role. I am a cheerleader and if that means wearing the skirt and waving the pom-poms then so be it. I am not ashamed of my association with this endeavor nor do I see any reason to apologize for anything I've ever done whilst acting in that capacity.

----------------

A number of our posters have expressed some dismay about the composition of the structure of The Appraisal Foundation, including its IAC. It's the kind of thing that typically ebbs and flows, but right now we seem to be at a high point. That being the case, I think a little dialogue on the subject may be appropriate.

Here is the Mission Statement of The Appraisal Foundation:

The Appraisal Foundation, a not-for-profit educational organization dedicated to the advancement of professional valuation, was established by the appraisal profession in the United States in 1987. Since its inception, the Foundation has worked to foster professionalism in appraising by:

- establishing, improving, and promoting the Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice (USPAP);

- establishing educational and experience qualification criteria for the licensing, certification and recertification of appraisers;

- disseminating information on USPAP and the Appraiser Qualification Criteria to the appraisal profession, state and federal government agencies, users of appraisal services, related industries and industry groups, and the general public and;

- sponsoring appropriate activities relating to standards, qualifications and issues of importance to appraisers and users of appraisal services.

The Preamble in USPAP states that the role of appraisal standards is to protect the public trust in professional appraisal practice. The term "public trust" covers a lot of ground. Not only does it include the legitimate interests of our clients and their borrowers, and the interests of the federal government, but it also includes the legitimate interests of the intended users of appraisal services. And not just the banks.

If you'll take note of the 3rd bullet above, it states that one of TAFs missions is to disseminate information on appraisal standards and appraiser qualifications to pretty much everyone; and it specifically mentions industry groups.

In addition, The Appraisal Foundation solicits and accepts input from virtually anyone who is interested enough to send them something. They'll read anything an appraiser sends them, whether the submission is relevant to something they're working on or not.

For example, the current Preamble in USPAP is reportedly the result of an unsolicited submission from an individual appraiser. Apparently this appraiser thought they could make the Preamble flow a little better whilst retaining the concepts. The ASB wasn't even considering modifying the Preamble when they got it.

Not only do the AQB and ASB pay attention to the information that gets sent to them, they apparently take a somewhat active role in identifying areas where they can contribute to the reduction of confusion and controversy with respect to some of these issues. I would think it obvious to most of our regulars that probably close to half of the issues addressed in the monthly Q&As involve current or recent topics of discussion and controversy on a couple of the appraiser chat groups. I daresay that AppraisersForum.com may be the ASBs single biggest source of topics for their monthly Q&As, which in turn get assimilated into the ASBs Frequently Asked Questions publication.

While we're at it, I also think it's fair to say that when they're working on a topic the ASB considers in its deliberations many of the arguments, both for and against various stances, that appear here on this forum.

How does this relate to the IAC? Well, The Appraisal Foundation has established advisory groups for the purpose of soliciting input and disseminating information that focused toward specific perspectives to various interested parties. Industry is only one of those groups:

Appraiser Education. TAF also has a council for the appraisal instruction wonks at the various professional groups (ECAFS)
The Education Council of Appraisal Foundation Sponsors (ECAFS) was formed in order to ensure public trust in the appraisal profession, raise competency of appraisers and encourage high ethical standards through a cooperative effort to provide the highest quality uniform USPAP education.

The council has developed a 15-hour National USPAP Course and 7-hour USPAP Update for appraisers. Both courses were donated to the Foundation by ECAFS and are updated annually.

ECAFS is comprised of representatives from eight Appraisal Sponsors of the Foundation.
Now you know who to blame for the content of those USPAP updates you have to sit through.

TAF has another council that's specific to interfacing with corresponding appraisal standards bodies throughout the world. The International Valuation Council (IVC):
The primary role of the International Valuation Council is to provide more global and international information and support to The Appraisal Foundation’s Board of Trustees, the Appraisal Standards Board and the Appraiser Qualifications Board. The International Valuation Council maintains contact and a reciprocal process to share experiences with other national standard and qualification setting bodies. The Council is not directly involved in International Standards, which is the mandate of the IVSC and who are supported in their work by The Appraisal Foundation. The Council interacts with the International Valuation Standards Board, Regional Valuation Standards Boards and other National Valuation Standards and Qualifications Boards to facilitate strong and consistent national standards.

The Appraisal Foundation, with strong support from its Appraisal Sponsors, is interested in identifying opportunities to encourage the implementation of valuation standards and qualifications in reconstructing economies and emerging and developing countries. As The Appraisal Foundation is organized exclusively for educational and scientific purposes it will be a task of the International Advisory Council to seek out opportunities that will help promote the global acceptance of the appraisal and valuation profession.

TAF has another advisory council that's geared toward the interests of the various appraiser regulatory boards and agencies in the U.S., the State Regulator Advisory Group:
In efforts to establish a direct link to the regulators who implement the work of our two Boards, The Appraisal Foundation formed a State Regulator Advisory Group. This group serves as a resource to the Foundation Boards on such issues as:

- Identifying disciplinary related USPAP issues that should be incorporated into revisions to the 7-hour National USPAP Update Course.

- Addressing enforcement and regulatory issues relating to USPAP and the Real Property Appraiser Qualification Criteria.

- Ensuring that the Qualification Criteria continues to reflect current capabilities and expectations of the marketplace regarding distance education.

The State Regulator Advisory Group is a geographically diverse panel composed of Board members, administrators, investigators, and legal staff.

And lastly, TAF maintains the infamous Industry Advisory Council that is the main topic of discussion in this thread:
The Board of Trustees of The Appraisal Foundation created the Industry Advisory Council (IAC) to provide advice and input from the marketplace. IAC membership is available to for-profit entities with an interest in valuation.

What is the Industry Advisory Council (IAC)?
The IAC is an advisory council which provides for-profit entities an opportunity to provide advice and counsel to The Appraisal Foundation. Members of the IAC include the following types or organizations: lending institutions, accounting firms, appraisal companies, insurers, brokerage firms, pension funds, investment bankers, relocation companies and others with an interest in valuation.

What is the role of the IAC?
The IAC meets three times per year in various locations around the country. Typically, the last formal meeting of the IAC takes place in the Fall in conjunction with the AQB, ASB and the Appraisal Foundation Advisory Council (TAFAC) in Washington, DC. The Chairs of the Appraisal Standards Board (ASB) and the Appraiser Qualifications Board (AQB) provide reports to the IAC and request advice and input.

Additionally, the IAC frequently identifies and recommends candidates to be considered for appointment to the ASB and the AQB. The Council directly appoints two individuals to serve on The Appraisal Foundation Board of Trustees.

The IAC also assists the Foundation in identifying and cultivating potential corporate funding sources to help support the work of the ASB and AQB.
From what I understand, virtually any company with a spare $2500 can join this advisory council. Zaio made it a point to join up and loudly trumpet their connection to The Appraisal Foundation like it was some kind of spectacular achievement; that obviously didn't help them out any.

I suppose that if a group of appraisers wanted to sit in on those confabs and receive whatever other newsletters the IAC puts out we could pony up $2500 and join in. I think it would be a waste, though. If an appraiser wants to provide input and exert some influence on the ASBs deliberations it would be much easier and more direct to simply write them a letter.

The Aprpaisal Foundation also has a direct and formal relationship with the federal government via The Appraisal Subcommittee.

My point is that TAF has been structured to solicit input from all these various sources and to interface with these different interests on a level that's relevant to them. For instance, the state regulators probably don't have a lot of interest in international valuation standards topics, and vice versa. The industry groups probably don't have a lot of interest in the same things the appraisal educators do. If you could imagine assembling a dozen people from each of these interest groups in a single room and attempting to hold any kind of discussion it would probably turn into a meaningless mess in no time flat. Hence the value of running these focus groups.

If TAF didn't solicit or accept commentary from anyone and everyone it would be fair game for allegations of being unresponsive or ill-informed or obsolete. So herein lies the rock and the hard place for them.

The Appraisal Foundation is coming under fire on this forum by appraisers who have apparently been sleeping through their USPAP updates and are unable to make the connection between TAFs stated mission and the structure it would take in order to accomplish that mission. Some of you are apparently chagrined that TAF doesn't vet the membership on any of these councils without running them through an appraiser-approval process.

The other glaring sorespot in the argument that TAF has been bought and paid for by the corporate crooks is the complete lack of evidence in TAFs work; i.e., USPAP and the AQBs Appraiser Qualifications Criteria.

The verbiage in some of the Advisory Opinions and Q&As is sometimes a bit clumsy and sometimes the answers are phrased either too broadly or too narrowly to be considered meaningful by many readers. But those are not appraisal standards nor are they misrepresented by the ASB as being anything other than USPAP-based advice from the body that's responsible for the content of USPAP.

Speaking of which, the core elements of USPAP - Ethics and Competency - have not wavered since its inception. Indeed, most of the requirements in the Ethics Rule and the Competency Rule predate USPAP itself. They can be found in the various codes of conducts of the professional organizations, and prior to that, in some of the academic texts from the 1920s and 1930s. Some of these concepts, appraiser confidentiality being one of them, predate those authors as well.

My point is that I can see no evidence of the ASB, past or present, altering appraisal standards away from the underlying principles and concepts that have long governed our profession. Probably 98% of the changes the ASB has been making over the last 20 years have been geared toward cleaning up the verbiage and adding additional comments and explanations to the original version of USPAP. The primary exceptions to that include the big shift in 1994 to add the Complete/Limited and reporting labels to USPAP, the change in sales history reporting requirements for 1-4s, the replacement of the Departure Rule and associated references throughout USPAP with the Scope of Work Rule. The ASB was on track to develop an overriding rule for reporting that corresponds to the SOWR, but I haven't heard anything about that for a while.

So herein lies my challenge to the IAC conspiracy buffs. Show us what indications in USPAP, the AOs, the monthly Q&As or the FAQs or any other communication from the ASB that indicates that they've been more influenced by the "input" of any other group than they have been by the input they get from appraisers. Let's skip the guilt-by-association, the reading of facial expressions, the paranormal feelings and the Vulcan mind melds for now and stick to the ASBs actions. Show us something.

After all, if the ASB hasn't actually done anything to appraisal standards that favor the crooks then any allegations that the ASB is acting in their interests becomes latently unwarranted.

Let's see an example of a change to USPAP or the codes of conduct used by the professional orgs that preceded USPAP that favors the cause of any user to the exclusion of the public trust.

Last edited:
Nice post George.

I am not a conspiracy guy. I think it is smart to not create USPAP in a vacuum. I do think it smart to include as many types of groups in the input of developement as possible.

As to your challenge, I have no idea if it is true or not, but I remember being told by a USPAP instructor when Departure and the report options came out, they were a direct result of "pressure" from the lending industry. So was the removal of Departure.

Honestly, I have no idea and dont care.

I do think it smart to include as many types of groups in the input of developement as possible.

Keep your friends close, your enemies closer?.....:icon_mrgreen:

ps. great post GH.

Excellent post George. Thank you for writing and presenting this. Excellent!

For those that are unaware, the Appraisal Standards Board and the Industry Advisory Council are scheduled to meet in January in Fort Lauderdale.

Other groups noted by George above are going to be meeting throughout the year in new Orleans, Washington DC, Chicago, Dallas and Sacramento. Rather than just whine and complain on this forum, I am suggesting that you instead attend a meting and learn about what actually goes on. I'd be happy to get together with anyone interested in attending the January meetings in Fort Lauderdale, I'll be there.

Dear Mr. Hatch;

When I attempt to create narrative of even a fraction of your post I typically find myself being timed out and knock off the forum. I have to re-log and find what I had been working on completely lost.

How did you produce your post? In one session while logged in? Off forum then copying it in? Just curious.

Thank you.

I don't do anything special. I don't even use a spell check, which is why I often drop typos all over the place. I just start typing into the quick reply box and go until I want to look at what I've already written, at which point I hit the "go advanced" button.

I know some people compose lengthy responses offline in Word or Wordpad and then do a copy/paste to drop it into a comment box. I've never done that, though.

Sometimes I'll get a "forum no longer available" message; that's probably what you're talking about. When I run into it I'll try to use my back button, copy my response, hit the refresh button or go back to the thread and hit "comment" again, and then drop it back in.

I'd be toast if Wayne put a 500 word limit on posts. I'm not sure I could order a happy meal from a drive-thru in 500 words or less.

Dear George:

TAF has wrought USPAP as a religion. Its purpose is to perfect appraisers. As with any religion, its acolytes and priests (of which you are one) often take umbrage at the challenge of orthodoxy. It is this phenomena which prompts your challenge.

Unlike most religions in which membership is optional, however, all appraiser's are required to worship at its altar. To sacrifice to its requirements of CE, AQ and etc. Required fealty is generally not tolerated as gently as voluntary loyalty. Thus, I believe, there is more tolerance for the similar requirements of AI, ASA & etc, because one can choose to have them govern one's behavior.

I cannot answer your challenge in the manner requested. You are seeking proof for a sin or offense of commision. But the nature of sin is broader than commission. In the traditional sense of sin, we commit offense by what we do, and by what we fail to do, by what we say, and by what we fail to say, by what we think, and by what we fail to think.

I would say the great dissappointment with TAF, in general, is the appearance to so many that it has stood by for a decade while appraisers universally were beaten like rented mules by the industry users which seemed to have so much influence with its governance.

I've related a story in an earlier post of a Cleveland consumer activist attorney that attended an IAC meeting. His interest was in predatory lending. He came away from that meeting with a profound disgust for TAF. In other words, it had the opposite effect of that which was intended.

If it can appear as such to those standing on the outside, how must it be felt by those under its burden of conformance?

More later, but my dinner is ready.

Last edited:
I would say the great dissappointment with TAF, in general, is the appearance to so many that it has stood by for a decade while appraisers universally were beaten like rented mules by the industry users which seemed to have so much influence with its governance.

I guess it pays to cough up the $2500 and get on the council huh?

Dear George,

Though I consider you one of the acolytes, I do appreciate your general tolerance for pointed questioning and suspicion. Others higher up have a harder time abiding any form of disdain for TAF. What they may not realize is that such attitudes invite even more contempt.

More later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back