• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

The issue with ACI and ANSI certification

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wayne Henry

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Maryland
The issue with ACI and ANSI certification

I wonder if I am the only one having an issue getting the ACI sketch to show measurements only to the tenth place and not to the hundredth place. Per ANSI guidelines, they only want measurements to the tenth place and not a double-digit to the right of the decimal point, yet I called ACI and spoke to two of their tech support agents, and they told me to go into "ACISketch" to View/Area/ and rounding to the hundredths. This is wrong because that will give two decimal places. When I brought this to their attention, they did not have a solution. I tried changing it to rounding to the tenths, and it still shows double digits to the right of the decimal point for bay windows and other parts of this large home sketch. Am I the only one having this issue? The ANSI requirement has been out for months at this point, and I would have thought this obvious issue would have been ironed out. Is there a workaround that ACI tech support is unaware of?

Attached are screenshots showing the changes I made and my issue.

Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Sample sketch example.jpg
    Sample sketch example.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 2
  • ACI sketch bottom settings.jpg
    ACI sketch bottom settings.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 1
  • ACI Sketch rounding up section.jpg
    ACI Sketch rounding up section.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 1
  • ANSI calculation requirement from booklet.jpg
    ANSI calculation requirement from booklet.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 1
it still shows double digits to the right of the decimal point for bay windows and other parts of this large home sketch.
I tried changing it to rounding to the tenths,
I don't know of any sketching that will actually "round" to the nearest 1/10 foot or inch. It only calculates what you enter. If you use rise/run for a bay window. The software is going to display the actual length of the hypotenuse. What you are changing in the software is not a "rounding" function. You are setting the minimum number of decimal places it will show. If you want the measurements to always come out to the 1/10 foot or inch. You are going to have to "tweek" your sketch. Alternatively you could delete the individual measurement labels and put in new ones manually

Why how could anyone believe they can measure a rugose surface to a one-hundredth of a foot? So ACI thinks we measure to the one-hundredth? Idiots. Find a different sketching program to use and not ACI's own version.

Why how could anyone believe they can measure a rugose surface to a one-hundredth of a foot? So ACI thinks we measure to the one-hundredth? Idiots. Find a different sketching program to use and not ACI's own version.
If you enter all of your dimensions to the 1/10 foot and have "closed" the area properly. All of your displayed dimensions should be to the 1/10 foot. Does it really make a difference if it displays 24.5" or 24.50" 50/100 is the same as 5/10

The solution that I came up with after confirming this is a known issue with ACI Sketch (which tech support admitted is not fully ANSI compliant), I figured out a workaround that came to me early in the morning. It works, and hopefully, it can help others in this situation. This solution mainly helps with the tricky corners that are diagonal measurements. I rounded the size to the nearest tenth and erased it. I then used a label that I would use to label a room and placed it where I erased the previous measurement which was to the hundredth's place and not ANSI compliant. I then renamed the title to the number rounded to the tenth place. I put it in parentheses so that I knew it was manually entered in case there is an issue in the future with the file. I told ACI tech support my solution, and he said he would put it in the notes. I hope he does so that the tech support call center there, wherever they are located, can help others in this similar situation instead of giving appraisers the inaccurate information they are reading from their helpdesk FAQ.

This thread can be closed for now.

I figured out a workaround that came to me early in the morning. It works, and hopefully, it can help others in this situation. This solution mainly helps with the tricky corners that are diagonal measurements. I rounded the size to the nearest tenth and erased it. I then used a label that I would use to label a room and placed it where I erased the previous measurement which was to the hundredth's place and not ANSI compliant
Sounds familiar
Alternatively you could delete the individual measurement labels and put in new ones manually

The solution that I came up with after confirming this is a known issue with ACI Sketch (which tech support admitted is not fully ANSI compliant), I figured out a workaround that came to me early in the morning. It works, and hopefully, it can help others in this situation. This solution mainly helps with the tricky corners that are diagonal measurements. I rounded the size to the nearest tenth and erased it. I then used a label that I would use to label a room and placed it where I erased the previous measurement which was to the hundredth's place and not ANSI compliant. I then renamed the title to the number rounded to the tenth place. I put it in parentheses so that I knew it was manually entered in case there is an issue in the future with the file. I told ACI tech support my solution, and he said he would put it in the notes. I hope he does so that the tech support call center there, wherever they are located, can help others in this similar situation instead of giving appraisers the inaccurate information they are reading from their helpdesk FAQ.

This thread can be closed for now.
Even though I suggested a similar workaround. That does not make your measurements ANSI compliant. ANSI says to measure to the 1/10 foot or to the inch. Changing labels does not change your actual measurements. The problem with ANSI is that you measure to the nearest 1/10 foot or inch. So sometimes you are rounding up and sometimes you are rounding down. It is virtually impossible to "close" the sketch without tweaking some measurements.

psst.... FNMA doesn't require that your sketch comply with ANSI. It requires that your measurements and calculations be done in accordance with ANSI.

psst.... FNMA doesn't require that your sketch comply with ANSI. It requires that your measurements and calculations be done in accordance with ANSI.
Well looks like Fannie disagrees

How well do you know ANSI?

Here are some considerations for appraisers when using the ANSI standard:• Measurements are taken and reported on the sketch or floor plan to the nearest inch or tenth of a foot, and the final square footage calculations are reported to the nearest whole square foot

Well looks like Fannie disagrees

How well do you know ANSI?

Here are some considerations for appraisers when using the ANSI standard:• Measurements are taken and reported on the sketch or floor plan to the nearest inch or tenth of a foot, and the final square footage calculations are reported to the nearest whole square foot
I teach ANSI CE classes. so.... I did get an email since my post indicating that FNMA now wants the report to include the calculations and that both the calculations and sketch have to demonstrate ANSI compliance. That is a change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back