• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Transition from Residential Appraiser to Commercial Appraiser

MontcoRealEstate

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Pennsylvania
I am interested in becoming a Commercial Real Estate Appraiser in PA . I got certified to be a residential appraiser in November of 2022. I have someone that is offering to mentor me. I'm wondering if anyone knows the requirements for the Commercial Real Estate appraiser certification for someone who already has the residential certification. I googled it and got a lot of different answers.

Calling them directly would be the safe harbour to doing it correctly.
I never see anything from the board anymore.

Reactions: Zoe
Having an existing CR simply gives you less logged hours, see below.

You need a 4 year degree.

You will need 1,500 of logged commercial experience, 50% you must inspect the subject, all three approaches need to be completed within the hours.

You will need 150 hours of tested commercial classes.

You do NOT need to register as a Trainee.

Having an existing CR simply gives you less logged hours, see below.

You need a 4 year degree.

You will need 1,500 of logged commercial experience, 50% you must inspect the subject, all three approaches need to be completed within the hours.

You will need 150 hours of tested commercial classes.

You do NOT need to register as a Trainee.
Idk but hours add up way quicker on commercial experience than single family residential.

The hours credit are way more. It don't take long to get to that 1500 hours. That is probably where they should probably talk to state and see how many hours credit a completed assignment gives them towards whatever they need.

I thought in Pennsylvania the rules were more lax than some States.

The rules do vary slightly from state to state. I don't know about PA specifically but, most state boards have web sites with all the information you might need about qualifying for an upgrade.

The hours credit are way more. It don't take long to get to that 1500 hours. That is probably where they should probably talk to state and see how many hours credit a completed assignment gives them towards whatever they need.
Your log must reflect the actual hours dedicated to completing a report, not some hypothetical credit for completing an appraisal. Most States do have a threshold where you need to justify the additional hours entered into your log.

When I completed my log, I claimed between 6 and 100+ hours for individual reports. Don't know if the State looked at it but for any of my claimed hours that exceed the State's guidelines, I included a brief explanation regarding the report and why the additional hours were claimed. My log covered approximately five years and over 6,000 hours, so even if they rejected the hours claimed on a report or two, I still had plenty of hours. The three reports they requested copies of were all pretty straightforward reports for which I claimed less than the stated guidelines. In combination the three requested reports did cover each approach to value.

All good points. That is why you need to get with your State because they know. You just dealt with them on your CR.

100 hours would not touch the hours I have spent on some assignments. That is also why it is very hard as a small shop to do both single family residential and commercial at the same time. I have spent well over 40 hours on some single family residential.

100 hours would not touch the hours I have spent on some assignments. That is also why it is very hard as a small shop to do both single family residential and commercial at the same time. I have spent well over 40 hours on some single family residential.
So, like me, 15~20 hours for 1004 is typical?

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back