• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Web Site Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

GregoryK

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Tennessee
I have developed and maintained my own website for just over a year now. I spent considerable time and effort at SEO and check the metrics regularly, usually once a week. In the last few months, i have noticed a steady increase in viewers and page views. In the last 7 days, nearly 300 visitors which given the short time, I thought was respectable. My question is to others who operate and maintain their websites. I am curious what the number of viewers you are getting given the time it has been on line. I guess more than anything, I want a benchmark which I can compare my young site with.

I was getting from 300 -450 hits a month. I haven't checked for a while. BTW I am turning about 6 or 7 inquiries (not counting those people who contact you claiming they can improve your website) a month, and I get 1 to 2 jobs a month out of it in my specialty - mineral rights. I recently pared my site to concentrate only on the mineral rights because I have had no more that 2 or 3 inquiries about anything else in the past 4 or 5 years.

Terrel I often ask how a new client got my name and I find that my website generates a good portion, but so does my LinkedIn profile and AppraiserUSA. Thanks for the Info!

You have it backwards

Hey Gregory,

Allow me to redirect you. You are running very fast, but in the wrong direction.

One of the great advantages we have is the ability to TARGET our customers. We don't need to be SEO proficient, because we are not marketing to the masses. We are a bit like a liquor distributor selling to bars. How hard is it to find bars - instead of waiting for them to find you?

I use my website as the next logical step in the introduction process. After I identify a client - which is very easy in our line of work - I send them a brief email with a few bulleted points of interest. The end of the email has a link to my website for "additional information". My website is not just another clone of a clone, like so many of them are. It is impressive. I am making an impression with my website - that's all. Then I follow up with sample work, and keep in touch with the customer. It's clockwork - 1,2,3.

I don't care if I get a million hits on my website - I only want a small handful of quality clients - and for those purposes, my website is an excellent tool.

Market effectively. Your website is only an additional facet to the total picture. Use it that way, and you will be successful - but don't expect it to be a do-all/end-all package.

don't care if I get a million hits on my website - I only want a small handful of quality clients - and for those purposes, my website is an excellent tool.
The goal is to turn a high percentage of those hits into follow up assignments.

I got 2 inquiries off my website today, I bet I turn one of the two into an assignment. Right now I have 6 pending reports to complete that came either from my website or from followup clients that I generated from the website, including a charity that had mineral rights and needs values annually for their trust. This is probably about the 8th or so year I've done their property. I have 2 such trust clients that use me Jan. 1 and Jun 30th. Those are "keepers".

Who is your host Greg? The right host will give you the SEO info you are seeking long term.

Well first let me address Rick's comments:

I largely agree with your point - however I provide valuation services to a large geographic area, and am certified in eight Midwest states. I have a strong background in litigation and eminent domain work and primarily perform appraisals on commercial property so while I agree targeted marketing is great, it is not feasible when working in such a large geographic area. But most importantly, the number of hits you receive moves you up in the search results. Being relegated to the fourth or fifth page of results will generate little work. So unless you are being seen, your resume or qualifications will do you little good. And I would prefer get many inquiries and choose which assignments I take on rather than accept have a few inquiries, and have to accept pretty much what comes my way.

Terrell:
You hit the nail on the head! I would rather have a number of hits, several inquiries, and be able to pick and choose what jobs I want. And I like to think of it has having a diverse base of high-quality clients rather than a handful from one geographic location. And Terrell - I would take two assignments a week anytime thats a heavy commercial work load for one man.

But there is another reason to maximize hits. That is name recognition and professional image. People tend to place credibility on things they find familiar. And while our work has to be credible, having a strong image (or Brand image as the marketing guys call it) helps generate those higher fees.

Blueprint:
I used Vistaprint to develop my website. They have a very easy interface for development, and the layout is nothing fancy, but yet it is different than any of the other appraiser's I have seen. And yes, VP is very good with helping with the SEO. But I decided to learn and improve where I can.

My web guy set my website up with a news tab, I create blurbs using Joomla and I am finally getting the hang of it, though somehow I got a "test" page at the top but I will get around to "fixing it" or simply getting it moved down. I am trying to write a new article weekly.

This seems to work. I have had 4 inquiries over the past week, and I turned 1 job out of that. Currently, I have 3 properties for a charity to value, another mineral property to value for a gift to the Nature Conservancy (I am also a member of NC), and will meet a lawyer tomorrow to sort through the valuations he needs for an LLC his own family has created.

I also got an email from the charity who just got a check for $40,000 from a well drilled in Oklahoma, and they need to add it to the mix to value, and it appears to be separate from the other OK property that I will be doing. I will learn more Thursday.

You will also want to determine where that traffic is coming from and if they are actual potential clients.

A great system to use for this is Google Analytics. You can find out what keywords they used to find your website as well as what websites are referring them.

A great tool I use all the time is an app called SEO Ranking. You will first need to determine your primary keywords that people are using to find you.

I always suggest first to focus on your primary city(s) name + appraiser and appraisal, so I focus on ranking for:

San Diego Appraiser
San Diego Appraisal
La Jolla Appraiser
La Jolla Appraisal
etc...

I have around 20 keyword combinations I tend to focus on per website.

You will want to show up eventually for all of your keywords on the first page of google results. If you show up on the first page of google, most likely you are ranking near the top for all the other search engines.

The SEO Ranking tool will help you guide your progress and to figure out what is working to get you higher rankings. Usually it is a combination of getting links from other related websites, youtube videos, a good social presence, blogging, etc...

Good luck, sounds like you are doing good so far!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back