• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Advice duplex made into quadruplex - no permit (also posted under FLorida)

If your Client asked for market value, then you have to appraiser the property at it's highest and best use. Is a quadraplex permissible? If not, you're question is answered.
Sorry for the grammatical errors. I know better... really. I just can't type and it gets away from me.

Us can't agree 100% on anything. Well, except for every AMC stealing money from the appraiser.

Ask your client how to proceed IMO ,

As for your own decision wrt HBU, I would look at the zoning - is it legal to have a four-unit improvement on the lot ? If the four units are legal, but two were built with no permit, Fannie and Freddie allow non-permitted dwellings, idk about for small income properties. What is the construction like, is it on sewer etc? Odd that they did not get permits

What kind of HC makes sense in a situation like this? If you are going to use an HC, then it should be subject to that HC ( not as is ). ask the client about that as well.
FNMA allows for non permitted work, but IMO 2 whole units is a lot of unpermitted work. The problem might be local planning/building Dept might lien the property to bring it up to code, as is retroactively permit the units. This always involves fines along with permiting fees. Then there is the local housing authority who may get cranky with people living in unpermitted units. You can value it, but need to with HC getting the units permitted so title can transfer or for the removal of the units. Or you can required the units to be disabled and call them guest houses.

Issue resolved, owner's had a permit although at first it was not disclosed. Thanks.

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back