• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

2-4 Unit On 2055 Exterior Form?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VolcanoLvr

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Washington
Some lenders/AMC's ask appraisers to complete an EXTERIOR report for a duplex, triplex, or 4 plex on the 2055 Form. Apparently, some appraisers do these assignments this way, without blinking (or thinking).

Here's what the form says:
"This report form is designed to report an appraisal of a ONE-UNIT property or a ONE UNIT property with accessory unit; including a unit in a planned unit development (PUD)."

Furthermore, the form also says: "Modifications, additions, or deletions to the intended use......ARE NOT PERMITTED."

I've heard through the grapevine that one prominent Chief Appraiser at a large appraisal firm with staff appraisers across the US that the CA has told at least one AMC that it's perfectly fine that this form be used for 2-4 Unit Exterior only assignments, without violating USPAP.

What do the "guru's" say about this kind of assignment on this 2055 form, relative to the appraiser's responsibility under USPAP?

Carnivore

Elite Member
Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Well, the form is just that a form. The first issue is that it may mislead a reader/user. You still have to comply with USPAP. Its better to think about this as a client looking to get something on the cheap. They want a stated Market value on a specific date; date of inspection is most common. If they could get you to provide a letter size one page report with your name, state seal, effective date and market value they would tell you that's all they want and that's all they will pay for. They know you have mandatory requirements. They don't have mandatory requirements.

So my advice is, Pass on it. Let some other sap do it.

DWiley

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
I see it is Groundhog Day at the Forum. :).

I ask the question I have posed before -

Given that many lenders (especially the default department) have a need for exterior only appraisals on 2-4 unit properties, given that there is no Fannie Mae form for exterior only 2-4 unit properties, and given that most lenders' systems cannot accept non-Fannie Mae forms, what solution is suggested?

gregb

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California

Given that many lenders (especially the default department) have a need for exterior only appraisals on 2-4 unit properties, given that there is no Fannie Mae form for exterior only 2-4 unit properties, and given that most lenders' systems cannot accept non-Fannie Mae forms, what solution is suggested?

Use the 1025, subject to inspection, once it is an REO. :)

ucbruin

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Massachusetts

Not to sound disrespectful....

But the solution is not the appraisers' responsibility....

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Michigan

Every single lender with more than three brain cells knows that some states will sanction appraisers for doing what they ask yet they still ask. Sounds like the lenders need to come up with a solution involving FNMA.

What the lenders are saying is "We need this, and know that your state board could sanction you for this but we don't care and if you do get sanctioned we feel terrible about your increased E and O, that USPAP class you had to take, those clients you lost and that fine...............but will you please update the system and remember this report is due by 3:42 Thursday or we will have to put a negative mark on your report card."

DWiley

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
Every single lender with more than three brain cells knows that some states will sanction appraisers for doing what they ask yet they still ask. Sounds like the lenders need to come up with a solution involving FNMA.

What the lenders are saying is "We need this, and know that your state board could sanction you for this but we don't care and if you do get sanctioned we feel terrible about your increased E and O, that USPAP class you had to take, those clients you lost and that fine...............but will you please update the system and remember this report is due by 3:42 Thursday or we will have to put a negative mark on your report card."
Can you please cite a case where an appraiser did this, included proper disclosures, and was still sanctioned? I can cite a state newsletter that said that it was OK with proper disclosures.

I have seen sanctions, but in the cases I have seen the appraiser just used the base form and added no commentary/explanation - so, in those cases the report was misleading. Waiting anxiously to see your citations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks