• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

2 Car Garage Vs. 1 Car Garage

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my area, it's about 1-3% for the second bay, depending on the area. The major difference is between a 1-car garage and no garage. Typically 4-6%. Rarely can I extract a difference between a 2-car and 3-car.

This is one of those adjustments that requires the most explanation. UWs just can't get their head around the diminishing marginal utility.

I absolutely agree with the majority of the posters. No one can say with any certainty what the value of an additional garage is unless there is specific paired sales data available.

The question I ask most homeowners is "what are YOU willing to pay for the difference?" I had a case where a seller complained about the appraised value, stating that I was "$50,000 low". The only difference between their home and one of my comps (within blocks) was their yard was 50' deeper (same width/road frontage) and was partially fenced. I asked how much the fence cost ($8,000) and then asked them how much they used the last 50' of their yard. All of their amenities were near to the house, like the patio, shed and swing set. The owner reluctantly admitted that the most distant part of the yard was not used regularly, but did provide extra privacy. I then asked if they (honestly) would think the average area buyer would pay a premium of $42,000 for privacy, and if they would list the property as such if they decided to sell.

That ended the conversation.

You might just have to ask a few realtors---if paired sales are not available---just what they think an extra garage contributes to the value.

And as most posters agree, location is a factor. In an urban city where parking is impossible, a garage may be worth $50,000. In a perpetually cold climate, a garage may be worth $20,000. In Florida or California, a garage may be worth $5,000. In a state where everyone parks their car on the lawn, a garage may be worth nothing.

If you cut your grass and find a car.......... you might be a............

Anyway.

I see that in cities, where each property has an allocated side of the street parking, that garages command greater values than in the burbs, because the owners will rent them out and park on the street, when their budgets get tight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back