• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

3.6 Crunch Time

I would offer that even if homes continue to be measure incorrectly/improperly, there is a benefit to having a standard for the measurement, so that one could, if desired/needed, actually prove that a home was not measured/calculated correctly. In the absence of a standard, any method can be claimed/cited as correct.
Fair enough. In order for that scenario to be meaningful, though, one would have to demonstrate that the incorrect measurement had a material impact on the valuation result. Otherwise, it's a mandate that does little else than provide warm fuzzies to the folks who actually believe it means something. And maybe that was the intent all along.
 
Why stop at 0.1? Why not to 0.05? More reasonable and common sense at 0.5 as we had measured prior to ANSI.
Fannie needs real appraisers who had measured homes working there.
My first job our of college was a land surveyor. I guess when doing as builts, we could have rounded to the nearest foot, instead of the nearest tenth.


Or do what some lazy POS appraisers do in my market....use the tax card or the realtors sketch.

You are getting paid to do a job....do it and do it correctly. Don't rip your clients off. Ethics......
 
Why cant you fight it? You're an american, you have that fighting spirit in you. Even if it's been suppressed by the powers that be over the years, it's still in there. :rof:
I don't fight in losing battles that's why we have human chattel to drop in desserts to die for a cause.

In the business world the biggest corporation or government agency is either your enemy or the branch of service you join or contract with as a vendor to make money off.

Appraisers have zero chance of ever fighting the Money Center Banks or Wall Street or the GSEs or even the large AMCs. Once logic takes over ones emotions a plan can begin.

The only battle appraisers can win
is building a much better business model that's not controlled by any one single client or customer.
 
ansi is going to correct the appraisers that couldn't measure before ansi..that is some yummy flavored grape kool aid :rof:
 
And we wonder why we are being replaced with hybrids and perea appraisers who can't measure a home. One of our skill sets were measuring homes accurately. That's why agents called us to measure homes. Now that's taken away from us.

I can see it now...some of the gse reps on this forum....these appraisers cannot even measure a home or are xxxxing about it. Let's just go full waiver or hybrids.

We are our worst enemy. It's not rocket science. If you can't measure a home...this is your job...get the freak out or learn how to.

The purpose of measuring a home is to verify its sqft..GLA, etc. Verify...agents lie and the government is not always 100% correct. Did the government measure the home 30 years ago to ansi? Probably not.
Measuring a home to within an inch rather than a half-foot isn't going to affect the value. Our job is to value the property. Not provide data-gathering services for other entities.

Of course we need to measure ACCURATELY. I don't think anyone has ever said otherwise. And having consistent standards for how to measure things like staircases across two levels of a home makes sense. Our job was to measure homes accurately before the ANSI standard and it is today. But to insist it be precise to a degree that isn't relevant to the work appraisers are doing is, frankly, pointless.

But of course we all do it (or at least I do) because it's what we are legally agreeing to do.
 
I got a couple of errors that took me a couple of tries to correct. What error did you get
Haha. I got the error corrected, finished the report, and then was unable to upload it to the AMC because it kept kicking back with some error about how their system didn't like the ZIP file for whatever reason.

We're all in trial-and-error mode for now it seems.
 
In the last few days I have worked on a 3.6 and a 2.6. I can tell you right now the 2.6 goes WAY faster. The amount of extra data on the 3.6 is crazy. For example, I sat in on the Total live seminar today from 11 to 1PM CDT. Low an behold, you know those little garden sheds? Well they want those in the Outbuilding part of the appraisal. And then if it isn’t considered Read Estate you have to mark “NO” and still take a picture of it. The Scope Creep is steep. There were a number of other aspects that were brought up with the Mercury Network, some Total program specific, and some GSE specific on how the form operates. But it was elightening, and if you have questions you can get them answered fairly quickly. I got a few answered regarding the Mobile App. If you are using Total, might want to sit in on a few. Needless to say I have raised my fees, because when comparing the two regarding time I would say the 3.6 will take at least one to two hours longer even when being proficient. Just way more fields to fill out and junk to keep straight. But during the session there was one time the Total folks were stumped by the question. I mean they are trying their best, but what the GSEs are asking of them is a big leap. They said really to do this right would take major capital outlays and the price of the program would be so steep we could’t afford it. So they are feeling the burn. The GSEs need to delay this. The learning curve is just too steep and Total guys admitted they don’t have the resources for the support help. We only have about 45 days to full implementation. If the help lines are lit up now, just imagine in about a month. We need at least another 6 months to get this right.
 
In the last few days I have worked on a 3.6 and a 2.6. I can tell you right now the 2.6 goes WAY faster. The amount of extra data on the 3.6 is crazy. For example, I sat in on the Total live seminar today from 11 to 1PM CDT. Low an behold, you know those little garden sheds? Well they want those in the Outbuilding part of the appraisal. And then if it isn’t considered Read Estate you have to mark “NO” and still take a picture of it. The Scope Creep is steep. There were a number of other aspects that were brought up with the Mercury Network, some Total program specific, and some GSE specific on how the form operates. But it was elightening, and if you have questions you can get them answered fairly quickly. I got a few answered regarding the Mobile App. If you are using Total, might want to sit in on a few. Needless to say I have raised my fees, because when comparing the two regarding time I would say the 3.6 will take at least one to two hours longer even when being proficient. Just way more fields to fill out and junk to keep straight. But during the session there was one time the Total folks were stumped by the question. I mean they are trying their best, but what the GSEs are asking of them is a big leap. They said really to do this right would take major capital outlays and the price of the program would be so steep we could’t afford it. So they are feeling the burn. The GSEs need to delay this. The learning curve is just too steep and Total guys admitted they don’t have the resources for the support help. We only have about 45 days to full implementation. If the help lines are lit up now, just imagine in about a month.

Is the plan to have everything completely switched over from 2.6 to 3.6 by November?

No way I see that happening. They need another 6 months at least.
 
Is the plan to have everything completely switched over from 2.6 to 3.6 by November?

No way I see that happening. They need another 6 months at least.
NOVEMBER 2!!! Mark it on your calendar. But in actuality it will have to be before that. I think any appraisal submitted after Nov. 2 must be 3.6 even if done earlier. Not sure, but I remember hearing that.
 
NOVEMBER 2!!! Mark it on your calendar. But in actuality it will have to be before that. I think any appraisal submitted after Nov. 2 must be 3.6 even if done earlier. Not sure, but I remember hearing that.

There are a lot of things I like about 3.6. The old form has always been way too limited for complex properties. And the PDF of the final report is much more readable for the average person. We all got used to it using it for so many years, but I think we could all agree it is a clunky form that should have been done away with years ago?

But 3.6 is also way too cumbersome. Needlessly so. I expect they will pare a lot of things down as time goes on. This certainly isn't going to decrease turn times. At least not initially.

And I just don't see how all the software providers and AMCs are going to be ready to go in another 6 weeks. Let alone the appraisers. The fact that it's this close to the deadline and there have been so few requests for them? I thought I'd be getting them 6 months ago and that it would be most of my orders by now. But here it is, the middle of September and so far I've had exactly ONE request for one. And I've been telling them (when asked) that I'm ready to start doing them for 2 months.
 
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back
Top