• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

75% Interest In An SFR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bingo

Freshman Member
Joined
Apr 6, 2009
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
I have a client that owns 75% of a single family home that was inherited. Six others own the other 25%. They would like a value of the 75% interest. Any thoughts on this assignment would be appreciated.
 

Pittsburgh Pete

Elite Member
Joined
May 6, 2008
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
Wouldn't expect to see much of a discount if any on the 75%--he should have control with that percentage. Only issue might be marketability but it would be minor.
 

Tom D

Senior Member
Gold Supporting Member
Joined
May 22, 2015
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
looks like simple % math, just like cutting a a whole pie. the hard part is how many of them will dislike your value.
 

Meandering

Elite Member
Joined
Feb 26, 2006
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
Pennsylvania
Undelineated interest, just a percentage of the net after the sale.

.
 

leelansford

Elite Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2002
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Illinois
I have a client that owns 75% of a single family home that was inherited. Six others own the other 25%. They would like a value of the 75% interest. Any thoughts on this assignment would be appreciated.
Talk to your client. Tell the client that you may provide the client with an opinion of Market Value and allow the client and others to conclude the value of the 75%. Seriously.
 
  • Like
Reactions: DTB

KHS445

Member
Joined
Aug 20, 2011
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Michigan
Ownership is just one of the possible issues you need to consider. I understand it is an inheritance, is the house vacant or is someone in possession/lingering tenancy rights? Who controls occupancy or use of the property? In my experience, so many times when estate planning is done by deed there is an increase in other issues that may affect ownership/sale ability/etc.

If the majority owner has complete control and use of the property, with the minority owners being owed a percentage of any sale proceeds then I agree with others that you should value it at market. On the other hand if the minority owners can reject a sale as not providing them with adequate compensation, then all bets are off and the majority owner may actually have to pay the minority owners a premium to get them to sell their interest or to sign off on any deal. The alternative would be a lawsuit seeking clarification of ownership/possession/use/ability to sell/etc. We all know that only the attorneys will come out ahead in the event of legal action.
 

hastalavista

Elite Member
Joined
May 16, 2005
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
Inform your client about your lack of competency in valuing partial interests and partner up with someone that is competent.
That's what I did (and thank you, Howard).
After you do, and you do the assignment correctly, that competency can create a nice niche market.
 

DWiley

Elite Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2007
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Tennessee
A
That's what I did (and thank you, Howard).
After you do, and you do the assignment correctly, that competency can create a nice niche market.
i agree that this can be a nice niche or work. Estate planners often use partial interest gifting and they also need appraisals of such interests. When I had my firm we did these on a regular basis.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Top

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks