• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Absolutely Amazing

Status
Not open for further replies.
apples and bananas--but you know that.

And never met a Catholic school without tuition, a barrier for many who could benefit the most. In my neck of the woods, Catholic school enrollment continues to decline with a plethora of closings and consolidations every year.

In my area. The catholic schools in the city have seen closings over the years. The catholic high school I went to was the newest in the area. But closed first. Everybody thought that expansion would happen in that schools area. But it ended up going a different way. But there has been a boom in catholic school enrollment in the suburban areas. Most of them are just about over crowded and consistently expanding. Suburban churches that did not have schools now do. The funny thing is. Is that this expansion of catholic schools is in areas where the local suburban school districts are very highly rated and have seen large population increases over the past 20-25 years due to the school systems. As far as the tuition barrier goes. Most of the catholic schools in my area. Have various programs to help parents who need it with tuition costs

Your argument is that the problem is funding. I'm showing you the example of people whose taxes support the public schools but who still choose to pay out of pocket to send their kids to the Catholic schools - which operate on less funding and which most people recognize have demonstrated a much stronger track record over many years when compared to the public schools.

The consolidation to which you refer most likely is the result of declining enrollment as fewer parents can afford to continue to pay twice (once in their taxes for the public schools and again out of pocket for the private school) and as a result of declining religious participation. But none of that offsets the fallacy that the public schools aren't getting enough money to deliver an education; not when the Catholic schools have been doing better for years with way less..

Parents who send their children to private or parochicial schools are a net gain for government schools - the government continues to receive the tax revenue paid by those families and, to the extent that school costs are based on enrollment (we are constantly drummed with the mantra of how much it costs to pay for one student in those schools) the government's gross revenue per student goes up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back