• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Additional Comps after Effective date

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mutyger

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Missouri
I have been getting a rash of lenders lately asking for additional comps after the effective date of the appraisal. Just had one recently that I inspected in March and they wanted 2 new comps that sold within the last 3 months after inspection. I have been telling them that they need to order a new appraisal as my effective date was 3 months ago and they squak. How do you folk handle these types of requests?

Jim Bartley

Professional Status
State
Virginia
What they REALLY want is a new opinion of value, right? They just couch it in "new comps" because a) they're idiots b) they don't want to pay for it.

So, you now have to explain to them that a) your appraisal was a "snap shot" in time and you can't just go back and "change" it and b) they need to pay for a new report. One is an appraisal problem, the other is a business problem. :)

Mztk1

Professional Status
State
Florida
It is definately a new appraisal. You can discount it a little because you don't have remeasure; but if they continue to be bothered over it, have them go to another appraiser who will charge full fee.

RSW

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
Yes, it is a new appraisal and you have just as much liability in the second one as you do the first one. Why would you do it for free? I sure would'nt.

sammiboii

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
I COMPLETELY agree with the three responses listed above. It's not your fault they delayed the closing 3 months after you did your appraisal. I understand that they are now trying to make sure that the value didn't go down from three months ago but that's not your problem.

My 2 pennies.

BOBBYGINE

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
California
I bet three months ago they hated the value and now it looks pretty good.

Couch Potato

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
I have been getting a rash of lenders lately asking for additional comps after the effective date of the appraisal. Just had one recently that I inspected in March and they wanted 2 new comps that sold within the last 3 months after inspection. I have been telling them that they need to order a new appraisal as my effective date was 3 months ago and they squak. How do you folk handle these types of requests?
I simply quote the fee for the work. Why tell them they "need to order a new appraisal," when they only want information on a couple of recent sales. Quote them a fee and send the sales. Don't alter you previous work.

Mike Boyd

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
I did one over a year ago last February and the client had the good sense to order a new, full fee appraisal this February. Then, about 6 weeks ago, the client said the underwriter needed two new comps!

I told them that new comps will probably not support the original value...even if I could find any.....700+-sf house on two acres in the Napa Valley wine country. BUT, if paid a partial fee in advance, ($125 for each comp) I would enter them in a grid without changing the effective date and with an explanation that they were asked for 3 months after the date on the report. My client agreed and said they would have the borrower send me a check. That is the last time I heard from them. It is just as well as I am pretty sure any new sales would not support the value found in February even though, up to that time, values were stable in that area. It was a hassle in the making and I really did not want to get involved in it.

Now, if they decide to go ahead, it will be a new assignment at full fee or they can find another appraiser.

leelansford

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Illinois
What they REALLY want is a new opinion of value, right? They just couch it in "new comps" because a) they're idiots b) they don't want to pay for it.

So, you now have to explain to them that a) your appraisal was a "snap shot" in time and you can't just go back and "change" it and b) they need to pay for a new report. One is an appraisal problem, the other is a business problem. :)

"You took the words out of my mouth!"

Elliott

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Oregon
My first question would be, "Provident?"
Dumb MBs promise the 1/4% lower rate and think
they're going to be the one that gets the brass
ring. Only the lucky few get the grass ring.

Once you meet the Provident 'new' comp
requirement, you'll get the closer, bracket,
requirement, followed by the list of 13 sales
and your asked to explain why you didn't
use them. Many MBs hate Provident and
will have nothing to do with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks