• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Advice for finding a mentor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmallas

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Wisconsin
Hello and good day to all,

I have recently completed pre-license appraisal courses through Robbins & Lloyd. I have an Associates and Bachelors degree in Business Admin and a background in Real Estate sales and valuation services. I've been taking on the daunting task of trying to find a mentor to embark on my goal of becoming an Appraiser.

Does anyone have any advice for me on finding such an opportunity?

Any input is appreciated.

Tim Schneider

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
Not to burst your bubble, but it will not be easy. Contact all the appraisers in your area, see them personally. Offer to do anything to help them, file papers, get their coffee, clean their office. Prove that your are willing to learn, to be their apprentace. Congrats on getting this far, no comes the hard part.

pmallas

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Wisconsin
Thanks for the reply. I have been mailing out resumes with cover letter and also sending emails to appraisal offices within about a 30 mile radius the last couple months. Of course no avail so far. I know that nothing worthwhile comes easy. I like the fact that Appraisal is a gated community. It makes it that much more worthwhile when you achieve such. I'm wondering if I should consider relocating to quicker growing communities where appraisal trainees with a Bachelor's degree are in demand such as New Jersey, Texas, and California. I don't know. Right now I do about 80 valuations a month. I wish it was 20 appraisals instead..lol Anyway, thanks again for the input.

kerrylanger

Professional Status
State
Wisconsin
Hello Pmallas,

You did not say what part of WI you are from.

pmallas

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Wisconsin
I live in the Racine/Caledonia area.

Tim Schneider

Professional Status
State
Wisconsin
So I can assume you are a broker doing BPO's?

pmallas

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Wisconsin
What are BPO's? I do valuations for possible listings. A lot of work for no pay. But in this market, it seems the only way to create a niche and get some of the REO listings to market.

Tim Schneider

Professional Status
State
Wisconsin
"brokers price opinion", used by many to get an "appraisal" without paying very much, as you found out. Very common in the REO market. By doing this you have helped to degrade the industry you want to get into.

pmallas

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Wisconsin
I dont get paid for a valuation. I perform a comparative market analysis and sometimes get a listing. I only get paid if I get a listing and sell it.

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Montana
Finding a Mentor

Hello and good day to all,

I have recently completed pre-license appraisal courses through Robbins & Lloyd. I have an Associates and Bachelors degree in Business Admin and a background in Real Estate sales and valuation services. I've been taking on the daunting task of trying to find a mentor to embark on my goal of becoming an Appraiser.

Does anyone have any advice for me on finding such an opportunity?

Any input is appreciated.

Try this link:

How to find a Mentor

The Appraisal Institute has just introduced a new membership category for trainees. Sign up and regularly attend Chapter meetings in your area. Networking is the best tool for finding a mentor.

Scan the national registry and seek out real estate appraisers who are also real estate agents. Real estate agents are drowning in BPO's and may need some help with real appraisals. Also scan registry for appraisers who are working for government agencies such as the local assessor office or Department of Transportation.

Personal contact is best. Just ask to visit with appraisers for advice and recommendations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks