• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Aftermath Of Rent Control Measures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fernando

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
In the Bay Area, there were many rent control measures on the ballot. Before I didn't know how to deal with such an issue when I was writing the appraisal reports. Now I know.
Those which didn't pass rent control, the thaw in 2-4 unit buildings should be over and prices should go back up.
Those which passed and tighten rent control will hurt tenant occupied buildings.
The scenario is clearer and appraisers need to keep up to date on such matters. Politics affect real estate values.

AMF13

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
L.A. has had rent control for years. It does not seem to make much if any diff compared to adjacent county areas with no rent control. But, I avoid crossing those lines for comps.

Fernando

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
San Francisco has rent control for over 30 years and I can see the difference. The rent limits and the eviction restraints have kept 2-4 unit buildings lower than it should be. Prices have increased but compared to adjacent county, S.F. landlords got screwed.

AMF13

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Maybe SF laws are more restrictive than LA?

techbiker

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
Texas
My understanding is rent control is theoretically bad for tenants and landlords, irrespective of building grade.

1. Rent control disincentivizes improvements to existing buildings. Why would a landlord invest in his building if any improvements don't translate to higher NOI?
2. Rent control disincentivizes new building construction. A developer would often rather build in a city that does not enforce rent control since he has a chance of realizing higher future rents.

Less development results in an artificially low rental inventory, shutting out would-be renters and contributing to urban sprawl, traffic, etc. Further, existing buildings are not repaired/improved as aggressively resulting in generally lower quality units.

I do not know how visible these theoreticals are on the ground though.

AMF13

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
L.A. rent control only applies to apts built pre 1978.
Limits rent increases until tenant leaves, then rent can go to market rates.
Simplified version.

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
Look at what happened in New York with strong rent controls. Before they were eased, buildings would set, empty and burned out, only having the facade still standing. It was not economically feasible to repair or renovate a building. Even New York realized that something had to be done.

Fernando

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
My understanding is rent control is theoretically bad for tenants and landlords, irrespective of building grade.

1. Rent control disincentivizes improvements to existing buildings. Why would a landlord invest in his building if any improvements don't translate to higher NOI?
2. Rent control disincentivizes new building construction. A developer would often rather build in a city that does not enforce rent control since he has a chance of realizing higher future rents.

Less development results in an artificially low rental inventory, shutting out would-be renters and contributing to urban sprawl, traffic, etc. Further, existing buildings are not repaired/improved as aggressively resulting in generally lower quality units.

I do not know how visible these theoreticals are on the ground though.
It's not theoretical. From my experience, more restrictive rent control, decrease in property values.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks